Honored Contributor

Re: Back Fence (Sept. 2019) Autumn's around the Corner

@geezerette   I'll be honest with you, I did it because the quote to install it was appalling.  Again, because the original owner of the house left all of the paperwork for me, I knew the size of oven I needed.  I found one that would fit the opening of the cabinetry at Lowes and it was on sale.  So I arranged to have their installers come over to measure - like I needed them to measure Woman Indifferent  It was part of the installation nonsense.  So three guys came over and I couldn't understand why three people were needed.  Honestly I never did it before and I was more clear about the measurements than they were.

After the three stooges left I was called with an installation quote that was almost the cost of the %&# oven.  I said, just deliver it. 

So the young delivery guys came and because I had an old diningroom chair that was the perfect height, I said, could you please set the unit on the chair, I will never be able to pick it up.  They felt sorry for me and did it.  Of course I had that chair maybe a foot away from the oven and it was awkward in the kitchen but I did what I had to do.

Under the oven is a drawer.  Once I pulled the drawer out and saw the shut off valve I turned the gas off.  There was a little difference between the female part of the piping and the male part of the oven connector because of course codes and standards changes.

I solved that with a trip to home depot to get the converter.

I actually did the oven on the day I was prepping for a colonoscopy.  It takes forever for the go-lightly to get me going and I didn't want to think about food so I pulled out the old oven, and put it on the other old dining room chair.  I then slid the dining room chair with the new oven over to the opening and wriggled it in.

I tested and tested that connection for any gas bubbles before I turned the gas back on.  I put my dog Max in the yard, gave him a bowl of water and called my sister and said, I'm done with the oven and Max is in the yard.  I have to turn the oven on and if you don't hear from me, come see about the birds and get Max out of the yard.

Woman LOL Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Since we're talking about appliances that we cook with, lol, I wish I had a traditional stove.  I don't mind the freestanding oven.  I have a Dacor cooktop that is above the silverware drawer and some under drawer storage.

Geez, talk about a nightmare replacing.  I not only have to be concerned about the measurements north/south and east/west (if you are looking down at it) I have to worry about the depth so it don't get in the way of the silverware door.  Oh yea, I also need to be worried about which side the gas goes in it.  My piping is on the right side. 

I get a feeling that one is really gonna cost me to replace even if I go with some other brand.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama 

You’re just as handy as a pocket on a shirt! 😄

My installation (Lowe’s) was only $135.  And mine is a double oven—microwave on the top and regular oven on the bottom, so it took two guys to put it in.  My friend is a contractor and said he would install it for me, but I figured I didn’t want to bother him for $135.  I like to save him for emergencies. 😉

I have a built-in cooktop too.  I suppose that will be the next to go.  Or the water heater.  I wasn’t here when my husband had the house built, but when I arrived I asked him why the **** he put built-in appliances in!  He didn’t even think about having to replace them eventually because we had never intended to stay here—that was 13 years ago, and I’m still here!  I would be fine with just a free-standing stove.  And forget the double oven combo since only the microwave konked out.  But it was irreparable.  And the regular oven had needed repair a few years ago, so it was getting on too.

I had contemplated for a while about just leaving it broken and using a countertop microwave, but I thought that might mess up a potential house sale down the road.  And when I looked online to see my options, I only found one model that would match my existing appliances and fit in the space.  So I figured if I waited too long, I might not be able to get anything that fit, the way everything is obsolete so quickly now.

Put me back about triple what we had paid for the original ovens.  But it’s done and hopefully it will last until I leave here.  I did opt for a five year protection plan since it’s a built-in, just in case it needs service.  Transferable, so that would be a good selling point too.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette  my mistake at Lowe's was mentioning to the sales guy that I was fearful about messing with gas and was more comfortable with plumbing and electricity.  I think I got the oven for like $450 and installation was $350.

When the sales guy called and gave me the estimate I said oh never mind.  He said, yea but you're afraid of messing with gas appliances.

I said yea but I'm not THAT afraid Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

My sister had the weirdest experience yesterday evening. 

We were yapping on the phone as usual when someone knocked on her door.  She could see that it was a young guy that looked like he was from a local pizza place.  She could also see that the pizza delivery car was parked in her next door neighbor's driveway.  What was weird was that there was another guy in the passenger side of the front seat.

She and I tend to do pick-up so maybe delivery people come in pairs now?

She opened the inside door and immediately said, you have the wrong house I didn't order anything.  The guy was holding a smaller box not a pizza sized box.  The guy said you don't have to pay anything I was told to bring this to you.

Gotta love my sister.  She and I have watched way too many 48 hours, Dateline and I Survived TV shows.

She said, I didn't order it, I don't want it and I hope you have a goodnight and she closed the front door.

The storm door was locked and my sister only had the inside door cracked open because she was in her bed clothes at the time.

Trusted Contributor

I would have been on the phone after that calling the pizza place to find out what was going on,or at least alert them to the incident 

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean   I don't think it crossed my sister's mind. 

Honored Contributor

Brace yourselves Woman Very Happy I cooked breakfast this morning.

I made pancakes and bacon.

Trusted Contributor

breakfast Birdmama,I’m proud of you 👏.

maybe your sister should still call the pizza place and maybe the non-emergency police number to let them know. Maybe this has been happening to others, just a thought 

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  Next time you fix breakfast give a shout out and I"ll be over LOL

Going on a little trip for a few days.Will visit my daughter the bionic leg one who is doing good.

Have had the air on the last two days.It was in the 70"s before that.It will cool down again. No complaints here.Hoping for what used to be called an Indian summer,though not sure what that means I think just warm weather for September and October Maybe you could clarify it for me birdmama.

Have a great week all.