Honored Contributor

Welcome friends old and new to the Back Fence.  The Back Fence is where neighbors gather to catch up on life and to share a treat or meal (bring food, hint hint) Woman Very Happy

Image result for autumn fence

I'm leaving two hashbrown breakfast casseroles.  One with bacon and one with sausage - neither too spicy.

Image result for breakfast casserole

If that's not enough carbs for ya, I'm also leaving some mini croissants

Image result for croissants

Coffee and tea also available.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Back Fence - October 2019

How's everyone today?  It was gloomy and drizzly all day.  Yesterday we broke a heat record for the date - it was 89

We're going to be lucky if we hit a high of 59 on Friday (just two days from now). 

This is crazy Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Good grief, I'm just wandering around the back fence talking to myself Woman Very Happy

I did the grocery shopping today, lol.  I wore a denim jacket to the store and still kind of froze.  I think the problem was that I had a short sleeved tee shirt on underneath the jacket.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Good grief, I'm just wandering around the back fence talking to myself Woman Very Happy

I did the grocery shopping today, lol.  I wore a denim jacket to the store and still kind of froze.  I think the problem was that I had a short sleeved tee shirt on underneath the jacket.  

@Bird mama 

😂  Didn't mean to keep you hanging out alone, @Bird mama

We had a brief cool down yesterday, and it was glorious!  I got out and managed to start washing down some of the trim on my front porch.  It gets filthy over the summer from bug droppings and wasp and spider nests.  I also took down the plastic garbage bags from my transom windows that I have to put up to keep the barn swallows from making nests above my doors.  They're awfully unsightly, but I'd rather have that than the birds nesting.  I love the birds and babies, just not the mess they leave!

Its supposed to warm up (again!😩) today, but tomorrow we're getting another front which will finally bring in our long-awaited fall temperatures.  And by next weekend, another one is due which will drop us down even more.  We've had summer forever, now it looks like we'll have fall for about a week! 🍂  Oh well, I'm enjoying the drier air and I wouldn't mind some frost or even freeze to finally get rid of these bugs! 

Honored Contributor

I'm leaving some bagels and cream cheese

Image result for big apple bagel

Image result for philadelphia cream cheese

Image result for philadelphia chive

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  Thank you for the bagles.It is cool and breezy at my part of the fence.The sun is out and it sure does look beautiful.

We are putting up some Halloween decorations today.Already have fall stuff out.

The bionic woman is doing good.She can start putting some weight on that leg in 2 weeks.

John is healing just fine.Although they did not find cancer on a small part of the tumor,after the surgery it was found.The doctor is sure they got it all.However it had spread to the lymp nodes,so he is being referred to the cancer center here in town.( I go there every 6 mos now and my DDIL also goes there )So now we wait again to see what the plan will be.Of course the waiting is the pits.

Hope everyone has a good week-end.Will keep you posted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hellie jo   I continue to pray for a favorable outcome for John Heart

My father was diagnosed with colon cancer in the 1990's. 

Me being me, I made the doctor's give me copies of the surgical report and all biopsy reports.  I sat down with a gray's anatomy book and explained to my dad what was done to him.

Honestly, they called it colon cancer but they said the origin was unknown which I thought was an oxymoron.  My dad had colon surgery, they removed his gallbladder while they were in there and took out the peritoneum around all of his abdominal organs.  

Talk about a fishing expedition Woman Surprised

Suffice it to say my Dad went once a week for a low dose (if you can call it that) chemotherapy treatment.  He went for 52 weeks, never missed a day of work and lived more than a decade after all of that.

When my father's time came to leave this world for the next, it wasn't cancer that prompted the journey.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Birdmama for keeping the fence in good shape. Wow Oct. got off to a hot start. On the 1st. It was 96deg. here. Finally cooled down so we could open the windows. Yesterday I made chili,today I made a big pot of Chinese pepper steak,always try to make things that I can double,then freeze so on a bad day I have something to eat. 

We got a few things done on the house. Got screens on the gutters,house washed. Of course there was the new Furnace/AC,for a whopping 6,000 dollars. Next thing will be the kitchen. I’m getting estimates on having the cabinets painted. There good and sturdy,just a little outdated. Don’t want to pay for a new kitchen,not at this age,74. I could use that money in my older years for something else.

Hope to hear from you all. I’m feeling better so I should be around more often.

Honored Contributor

Which brand of furnace/AC did you go with @Epicurean   I think the next time I get my roof done (estimating 2023) I am going to have new gutters installed and I'm getting screen.  My second story on a ladder days are behind me Woman Embarassed

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean  Glad to hear you are feeling better.Makes life a lot easier. Take care.