Regular Contributor

Back Fence Ladies cookbook

[ Edited ]

Was wondering if any of the Back Fence Ladies who have been here in 2006 or so are still around? I found at my Mom's house a cookbook from The Back Fence Ladies....recipes for Sarah and Greg. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Back Fence Ladies cookbook

@Winifred 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@Winifred 

There is a Winifred in these printouts I have of recipes.

Honored Contributor

@sonson  I joined the Back Fence threads long after they were established and I met Betty and Freddie aka Winifred.  Betty passed away and I just paged Freddie for you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you! Freddie has recipes in the cookbook. People signed their names to them. Betty is in the cookbook, too. This cookbook is a treasure. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sonson   I was pretty much an original Back Fence member but, it's funny, I sure don't remember a cookbook.  We have lost quite a few of the original members....some passed away and others quit posting (including myself).  I think Sarah is Shirley's daughter.  I forget Shirley's username here but she hasn't posted on the boards in years.  I'm still in contact with many of the original members.  I'll contact them to see if they remember a cookbook.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

The cookbook was for Sarah and Greg. There is a Shirley in the cookbook. Maybe she had the Backfence Ladies submit recipes for her daughter when she got married to a Greg. It says on the front "A Bunch of recipes for Sarah and Greg". 
These forums go back so many years, so many memories in this group! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sonson Well, I've just had a lively discussion with some of the original members of the Back Fence on Messenger.  They seemed to think it was specifically for Shirley's daughter/son-in-law and they thought Jody who posted as Doglover here was the one who did most of the legwork and putting it together.  SonSon, if I may ask who was your mother (first name or her username is fine if you know it).  Shirley asked and I guess I didn't even think to ask you.  I'm assuming she was a Back Fence poster as well.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom is Marcia and she lives in Florida. I don't think she posted a lot but she read the forums and participated in some emails.  She did submit a recipe for Sarah and Greg for the cookbook.  I spoke to Mom this morning. She was happy to reminisce about the Back Fence ladies. 

There is a Brenda in the cookbook, my Mom met her thru this forum. We did get together with her for lunch a couple times in PA. We went shopping at the QVC outlet in Lancaster after lunch.  I looked Brenda up last night and was sad to see she passed away last year. 

I'll call Mom again today and see if she remembers her username. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sonson I remember your mom (but forget her username)!  I don't know if she'll remember me but tell her I said Hi.  I'll let Freddie, Betty and Shirley know you are Marcia's daughter.  I think I remember Brenda too but sorry to hear she has passed away.

This is why I love the Q message boards.  We had so much fun back in the day.  We then exchanged e-mail addresses and started e-mailing A LOT.  I was still using a dial up modem at the time and I just couldn't keep up with all the e-mails much less everything else online.  That's why I eventually faded away from posting there.  So many of us have met each other, personally too.  Jody (Doglover) probably has met your mom before in real life as she met so many Back Fencers as well as many posters from the Q boards.

- Author Unknown