Honored Contributor

I think its a gift grab and I also think its disgusting and rude.

Since you have already decided to go there is not much to say.  But this is how they get all the presents out of obligation that the invited person feels they "have to".

No way would I go or send a present.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

@chrystaltree   I don't think it's a gift grab.  I think your friend values your friendship and wants to share her happiness with you.  Go for your friend's sake - you may have a lovely time. 

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 @ I agree that finding anything worth a post since the BB has been sanitized is a challenge. Debating baby showers is better than nothing. We continue to lose posters, so rude comments that criticize threads are not helping.

Valued Contributor

To answer the question: No, I would regretfully decline.

If the grandmother is "truly" a close friend, I would hope she would not be offended.

I would find it awkward and a bit uncomfortable to attend a social event where I only knew 1 person in attendance, and I wasn't invited by the host and hostess - (And I'm an extremely outgoing extrovert.)

(I would, however, send the happy couple a gift via the Grandmother, once baby is born)

Just wondering if they had one of those over-the-top Gender Reveal parties too? Smiley Tongue

Valued Contributor
@SamBrown I agree with you!

@chrystaltree I think it’s a compliment that you were invited and I’m glad you’re going. If your friend was only allowed 10 people to invite, I think it’s nice that you were one of the 10.
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree , if she is a good friend of yours she may just be thinking heck, if I'm helping to pay and there's all these people there I want some friends there too!  Since it sounds like your friend is the one extending the invitation rather than the mom to be I don't think it is a gift grab.  Go, hang out with your friends and have a good time. 

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@chrystaltree , if she is a good friend of yours she may just be thinking heck, if I'm helping to pay and there's all these people there I want some friends there too!  Since it sounds like your friend is the one extending the invitation rather than the mom to be I don't think it is a gift grab.  Go, hang out with your friends and have a good time. 

Yes I've never met the mom to be or her mother.  Or the dad.   The invitation is definitely from my friend.  But we're letting that go.  We're going to get dressed up, eat and have a nice time.

Respected Contributor

If I don't know either of the parents who are expecting a baby, no reason to go to the shower...I would decline the invite and send a small gift, I have never heard of such a large soirée for a baby shower. Gift grab for sure, and a bit tacky to have that many people and a cash bar. IMO. A big party of 100 and I would only know one person? I would definitely not go. 

Respected Contributor

I'm more hung up on the fact that there's a CASH BAR.  Now THAT'S tacky.

Honored Contributor

Well is nice that out of all the people she could have invited you are one of the few for her 10 invites.  I would go and enjoy the offerings.  It may be a lot of fun.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."