Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I'm going to a baby shower this month, have not been to one in about 15 years. All I know is at this shower anyway, it's a relative, it's costing me 150.00 dollars for a gift she wanted from her gift registry. When did baby showers get so expensive, I would have been ashamed to ask anyone to consider spending that kind of money on a shower gift. I was told, things are just so expensive today.

Why would you spend $150 if you didn't want to?  Registries have a variety of choices, and if the only things left cost more than you want to pay, you can always get something else.  It's not required to buy only what's on the registry.  Registries are just lists of what people like.  You're free to spend as much or as little as you want, and it doesn't have to be from the registry.

(Many times expensive items on registries are purchased by very close family, or by 2 or more people who want to give a gift together, such as office friends, etc.)

Respected Contributor

Yes, but I think most men should have their own shower , so they can learn to help.

Respected Contributor

Haven't been in years , last one was for my first grandson. Games are my thing . That makes them worth going. But that was 2001.

Respected Contributor

That is a lot of the new generation. Inconsiderate.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I just received a "courtesy" baby shower invite for husband's first cousin's daughter.  What I mean by "courtesy" is that though I hardly know the daughter, the hosts (mother & sisters) do not want to offend/overlook any family member with no invite.  That is how my husband's family is; it is kind of them.

When checking the registry what I found strange there very few items listed.  I am assuming that gift cards are the preference. Since I won't be attending that is a perfect selection for me.  However, I know that will not be popular with other older family members.

Trusted Contributor

I have been to a couple of baby showers in the last few years. 

First, in regards to not wrapping, what a thoughtful suggestion! Saving trees, money, and time !  You don't have to sit there for an hour and be bored as the gifts are being opened, nor the guests who could only afford a small gift feel uncomfortable as their gift is being announced and opened. 

Second, I think "coed" showers are awesome!  The Father to be is equally important in the childs life and rearing so he definately should be present.  Showers do not need to be boring cutsie events, but a celebration of a new life into a family. How the shower takes place and the theme should include the parents to be. 

Third, in busy schedules surprise parties are not recommended or the host may be the one surprised when the recipients don't show up. Smiley Happy

Fourth, I welcome an invite that includes a registry, whether I purchase from the registry, give a gift card to the store of choice or get ideas, designs, colors, etc to purchase elsewhere.  

Lastly,  I do not attend or feel the need to gift someone I do not care about, so I suggest you consider doing the same.  This way I can go and celebrate this happy occasion with my loved one and not be critical of the venue, food, gifts, or participants.

Some of you sound like cranky ladies, relax and enjoy life.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Perfect timing on this question for me!

I am shocked the way this generation does things.  We had the "reveal party" today and it was announced the baby shower would be July with all the details.  What?  I thought these occasions (bridal, etc) were planned and the person was surprised...nope not anymore.  In fact, the invites are ready to  printed now they know the sex. 

The bridal and baby showers I've attended these past few years have been like mini-weddings at very high end places & gifts - well, let's just say over the top expensive.  

Today the grandmoms-to-be just told her let us know when you need the deposit for the venue...guess I'm still back in the 80s😮 (my kids were born then) when it was fun planning a surprise for these occasions.

I'm shocked they didn't announce the approximate baptism date too...lol😉

I think it was very thoughtful that they shared the date of the shower so people could plan ahead if they intended on going. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

First, in regards to not wrapping, what a thoughtful suggestion! Saving trees, money, and time !  You don't have to sit there for an hour and be bored as the gifts are being opened, nor the guests who could only afford a small gift feel uncomfortable as their gift is being announced and opened. 

Second, I think "coed" showers are awesome!  The Father to be is equally important in the childs life and rearing so he definately should be present.  Showers do not need to be boring cutsie events, but a celebration of a new life into a family. How the shower takes place and the theme should include the parents to be. 

Third, in busy schedules surprise parties are not recommended or the host may be the one surprised when the recipients don't show up. Smiley Happy

Fourth, I welcome an invite that includes a registry, whether I purchase from the registry, give a gift card to the store of choice or get ideas, designs, colors, etc to purchase elsewhere.  

Lastly,  I do not attend or feel the need to gift someone I do not care about, so I suggest you consider doing the same.  This way I can go and celebrate this happy occasion with my loved one and not be critical of the venue, food, gifts, or participants.

Great post!

Especially your last point.  Honestly, I don't want people at my events if they don't want to be there.  Events are not command performances.  If someone would rather be home or if their purpose in being there is to judge and complain, I would so much rather that they just decline the invitation. 

Whether I'm the host or a guest, it's a far better atmosphere if everyone there really wants to share in the joy of the event.

Regular Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

Great post!

Especially your last point.  Honestly, I don't want people at my events if they don't want to be there.  Events are not command performances.  If someone would rather be home or if their purpose in being there is to judge and complain, I would so much rather that they just decline the invitation. 

Whether I'm the host or a guest, it's a far better atmosphere if everyone there really wants to share in the joy of the event.

I agree with you both @NYC Susan & @Calcgirl.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to a baby shower in YEARS!!! I hosted one several years ago--was the standard thing. I am not up to what is the new normal, but my nephews wife is preggers so I imagine I will be going to that one.