Honored Contributor

Baby Robin in the yard today

My husband saved him from the dog!  The parents were squaking in the trees. He was pretty big. We left him in the yard for about an hour...the parents knew where he was and he was calling to them.   He seemed to want to go on the other side of the fence which is just wild untamed woody area. I showed him a little opening in the fence and he scurried through it. 

what else could I do?  Now I am going to worry about him😢 The crows will want to eat him😢😢 Do you think his parents will feed him?  Nature is too mean. I have seen too much sadness in past years with baby birds...why me...

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby Robin in the yard today

We had one in our yard.  They are big ... almost as big as the parents.  He was hopping around and I threw some bread crumbs and peanuts and the parent was picking up the pieces and putting them in the babies mouth.  I am like you ... I worry.  But the parents are always close by.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Nature is just nature.  But put a lot of animals in nature are at risk.  We are pushing them out of their natural habitat.  I live in the Adirondack area of NYS and there is so much ripping out of the natural habitat to build yet another housing commnunity, strip mall, etc.  I saw a doe and it's baby killed by a vehicle.  They try to cross the three lane roadways we build.  I cried.  The fawn was laying right on top of the doe.  

Honored Contributor

I had one hop up to me as I was sitting on the patio one day.  I couldn't get rid of it.  I've also saved a couple from the dogs in the yard.  They don't seem to have any fear at that young age.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My neighbors saved a baby bird from a blue jay a week or so ago. They took it in and cleaned it up and returned near the bird house after a bit. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I didn't think dogs would eat birds.  But they do!  I knew cats were a danger to birds but had never considered dogs a threat.

Honored Contributor

update this morning!

So today one of the baby birds was back in my yard again...   I heard screaming parents and the baby bird screaming bloody murder..... I ran out back....and  of course my dog found it  and I had to rescue the baby.  My dog must not have killer instinct  as he just was very curious... but did not kill it.

I picked it up... the parents were going crazy in the trees above me... I put it over the fence again... away from my dog.  It could flutter OK...just not a great flier yet.   Two crows were also screaming overhead and I know that they just want to eat the babies.... so hope fully they will get strong enough to fly up into the trees and not be ground bait for dogs and crows.  I think there were about 4 of them that came out of this nest in the maple trees above my yard.

Again... nature is so cruel and tough... it is amazing that these delicate creatures survive at all.... every year it seems I have to deal with this baby bird dilemma. 

I hope that was the last incident this go aroundWoman Sad

Honored Contributor

My husband and I have watched these out of the nest training sessions for years with robins and wrens.   No matter how long Junior is on the ground, we don’t interfere.   

Mom or Dad encourages Junior out of the nest, and usually the first training starts within 15 feet of home.   We see the parent and baby together, then baby is alone, and mom watches from a tree or shrub nearby.  

Junior squawks and mom answers.   The purpose is for Junior to move in the direction of, and find mom.   These tests can last hours, lots of chirps and all out squawking, and sometimes I think mom just comes and gets Junior when she’s had enough!  

Valued Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@SeaMaiden Nature is just nature.  But put a lot of animals in nature are at risk.  We are pushing them out of their natural habitat.  I live in the Adirondack area of NYS and there is so much ripping out of the natural habitat to build yet another housing commnunity, strip mall, etc.  I saw a doe and it's baby killed by a vehicle.  They try to cross the three lane roadways we build.  I cried.  The fawn was laying right on top of the doe.  

OMG..this will haunt me forever! Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

OMG..this will haunt me forever! Woman Sad

@emmygrace  That must have been so hard to witness😢 it would haunt me too.