Honored Contributor

Baby Bears Visit Nursing Home!

Asheville, NC known for scenery, has baby bears that want to play!!!

https://wlos.com/news/local/bears-open-door-asheville-nursing-home

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby Bears Visit Nursing Home!

They are darling.  Just hope mama bear isn't nearby, since she could get very defensive against anyone who is in the vicinity!  

My mom is in assisted living and they hang bird feeders in the winter months for the birds that don't migrate.  At about this time of year, they need to come down because they attract bears who are just coming out of hibernation.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

They are darling.  Just hope mama bear isn't nearby, since she could get very defensive against anyone who is in the vicinity!  

My mom is in assisted living and they hang bird feeders in the winter months for the birds that don't migrate.  At about this time of year, they need to come down because they attract bears who are just coming out of hibernation.  

@september 

Mama is very close. Look on the wall and it shows her crossing the street. I have a mama at my mountain house with 2 cubs and the mother is huge. She is the largest bear I have ever had. I will not be cooking any brownies or blueberry pies  I'll tell you that. Don't ask!!!

ETA  Oh yes and don't burn apple pie scented candles with an open window either. Don't ask !!!Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

That's so cute but I would be afraid at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

So very cute!  Thank you for sharing.

I hope they head quickly back to the deep woods before any humans get bad ideas.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

I would expect animal control took them somewhere safe unless they walked back outside and left.

Here, we are surrounded by national forests, have the Cradle Of Forestry, and on the Appalachian Trail.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The bears are cute but if any bear walked inside of a place I was working I'd faint. Sure hope the nursing home figures a solution out with the door. Maybe a buzzer that humans can use to let themselves in. Mama bear could have been following her cubs and that would not be a pleasant sight.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Thank you for sharing the cute pictures.

I was born and raised here in NC.  🌲 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe  I am moving to North Carolina in June. Is this what I have to look forward to? My daughter moved there 20 years ago and has been trying to get me to relocate since I retired. I finally decided to go because I haven't seen my family in almost 2 years because of the virus.  I don't really want to move, but I'm not getting any younger so it's better to be near family. 

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Drythe  I am moving to North Carolina in June. Is this what I have to look forward to? My daughter moved there 20 years ago and has been trying to get me to relocate since I retired. I finally decided to go because I haven't seen my family in almost 2 years because of the virus.  I don't really want to move, but I'm not getting any younger so it's better to be near family. 

@Buffalogal47 

If I may jump in, the more metropolitan your location, the less natural wildlife.  North Carolina is a very horizontal state.  

I live in the Blue Ridge mountains, very near to the Cradle Of Forestry and could go to work on the parkway if I wanted to.  I live in the coolest part.  We grow a lot of apples.