Trusted Contributor

Re: Baby Bears Visit Nursing Home!

@ECBG  I'll be in Rockingham County. I'll be staying with my DD and SIL for a couple of months until I find my own place. They live out in the country. They have a beautiful place; it's nice out there, quiet and all the neighbors are friendly but there is all kinds of wildlife. I've lived all my life in the city or suburbs. It's going to be interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 

If you're in the north, near Virginia, you'll be a little cooler.  Greensboro, NC is south over the southern county border and a favorite city of mine.  

When we had teacher's conferences, we'd stay at the big hotel at the mall on I 40.

There is a big shopping center, Friendly Center that has everything you want.  We would pay for an extra night and go a day early.

We would go to a large store, I'd take the last dressing room after I put wardrobes together on the floor.  They would each get a room and we would all critique the outfits.  The sales girl would make about $3,000+ off of our visit.  I picked out all of their clothes in that visit with 5-6 friends.

I retired from teaching and am called the "city's stylist" where I live.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 

I live in the Central part of the state, 2 hours from the Atlantic, 3- 4 hours from the Blue Ridge.  

Are you from, or near Buffalo?  If so, you will find NC very different.  

Please, before you come devote some time to the study of the History of NC.  So many come with little knowledge of our rich history, the lovely early towns, the Native American history, the educational system - the first state supported university in the US is here. The literary, forestry preservation, botanical, geographic diversity, the strong tradition of military service, the musical, theater and oral history are all deep and interesting.  The accent is what it is, and I won’t apologize! 😀

About 110,000 people move here from other states every year.  Having taught, and worked in long term care, I can say with surety, many spend much time criticizing the differences from ‘home’, rather than experiencing, and enjoying them.

I hope you make a wonderful transition.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe My daughter moved to the Piedmont Triad 20 years ago. She has lived in Greensboro, Lewisville/Clemons/Winston-Salem and finally, Rockingham County. I have visited 2 or 3 times a year ever since she moved so I am aware of the some of the history of the state, and the customs and culture. It is one of the 13 original colonies, like New York is, so I'm sure there are plenty of historical sites. I am a history buff and that is one thing I have always loved about living in Western NY. I am looking forward to discovering some of the sites in NC.

You don't have to apologize for your accents, I love listening to Southerners speak. Y'all might have to get used to listening to my nasal Great Lakes way of talking. We all have sinus problems due to the constant humidity and it shows in our speech.

Actually, I'm rather looking forward to some of the differences between NY and NC. My DD loves NC and has been trying to persuade me to move ever since I retired. There are things I love about NY that I will miss, especially having Niagara Falls practically in my back yard. If you have never seen them in person, you can't appreciate how magnificent they really are. And our 2 Great Lakes, Erie and Ontario, are a beautiful inland fresh water ocean. But, you have the mountains, the ocean, and the most beautiful fall season. I'm sure I will come to love living there. And not the least of reasons, I will be with my family again. 

Thank you for your good wishes; maybe we'll run into each other.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 

Maybe we will run into one another!  I have ‘cousins’ all over the state.

I have been fortunate to see the Niagara Falls from both sides, amazing, and have seen most of the Lakes, unfortunately in winter 🥶!

One very interesting bit of history, as well as a mystery is the lost colony of Roanoke, and Virginia Dare, and also down that way Kill Devil Hills, the Wright Bros. Museum, and the city of Wilmington.

Hope your move is smooth and easy, History buff to History buff, 

Welcome!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras