Honored Contributor

BOGO OFFERS KILLING MY NO BACKUPS

[ Edited ]

So many stores/sites are offering Buy one Get one free or buy second for 1/2 price, it's very tempting to stock up. I have way more groceries than I need for the 2 weeks I plan and shop for because if offered a second can of soup or spaghetti sauce free for each one you purchase, why not? My pantry is a large walk-in, but also keep large roasting pans, etc. that are seldom used in there. 

I was on a clothing site (BR) a month ago that was offering "Buy one sweater and get another one free". Huh? Pass that one up decluttering or not?

Super Contributor

Re: BOGO OFFERS KILLING MY NO BACKUPS

If it's a buy one get one free offer, I always take the free, then I can have food/pantry items for the local food bank.  It's a free way to donate.  Same with clothes, although I've never been lucky enough to find a bogo offer on clothing (except for Sketchers shoes).

Respected Contributor

I love this time of year to get backups, as long as it is absolutely something I need and will use. I’ve stocked up on skin care, makeup, even underwear lol. 

Honored Contributor

BOGO deals at the supermarket are a good way to add to my stockpile of pantry items.  ...Unless it's one store that will be remain nameless (Acme).  It often marks up the price of a single item so BOGO is not as good a deal as you think.  For example, an item normally costing $2.50 is marked up to $4.00 when there's a BOGO sale.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

BOGO deals at the supermarket are a good way to add to my stockpile of pantry items.  ...Unless it's one store that will be remain nameless (Acme).  It often marks up the price of a single item so BOGO is not as good a deal as you think.  For example, an item normally costing $2.50 is marked up to $4.00 when there's a BOGO sale.

That nameless store is the absolute worst for sale items.  

Most times they are either out or never had it to begin with.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, whether it's food, a household product or clothing, you can give to someone you love or donate to someone who would love it. 

Doesn't even need to come into the house, leave it in car and drop off.  

Esteemed Contributor

BOGO are wonderful for items that are used regularly.  If not, just ignore them.  We know that they are playing with us so that we overspend.

Regular Contributor

I do my weekly grocery shopping purchasing mostly B1G1 items.  I've never seen a B1G1 on clothing.  Would love that!  The most I've seen is B1G1 50%.

Honored Contributor

I've never see BOGO free for clothing.  I've see buy one, get one 50% off.  That's not an incentive for me to buy unless it's short sleeve white tees.  I wear them under almost everything in the winter.  I never pass by a BOGO when it comes to groceries.  It's almost always canned goods, frozen foods or condiments and those things last forever.  If I can't use the free one, someone I know can use it.

Honored Contributor

BOGO items are great..... i am getting a "bonus" that i can pass along if i dont need it. i have children who will always take my extra groceries. LOL

everything else in the stores that are say 2/$5 or 3/$6 are different. i can buy just one of the items and pay $2.50 or $2. it is not a requirement to purchase two or three of something necessarily although it is priced that way.

yes, it is a great time of the year to give. all of our grocery stores have collection boxes where you can place your "extras" in the boxes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein