Honored Contributor

We have both nearby but go to Costco. Ours doesn’t have many clothes and I don’t think the aisles are labeled. I would never call ours Country Clubbish. Far from it.

Esteemed Contributor

Costco has much higher quality merchandise than BJ's. There is no doubt! Our closest Costco is 30 minutes away, so we don't go often, but preferred Sam's Club over both of them.

Respected Contributor

We have both a Costco and BJs here.  I needed 4 new tires and the ones I wanted were on sale at BJs very near here.  THat kinda sealed the deal.  I love Costco but honestly it's attached to the mall and parking and traffic near there is pretty bad.  

I sometimes go to Costco with my sister bc there's one near her and I'd probably prefer it but like that Bjs near mea is a standalone store only 3 miles from home and much easier to get into and out of when it's time to leave.  

Respected Contributor

What is BJs store? Never heard of it. There is a Sams two towns over. Never been in a Costco.

Honored Contributor

Our Costco is very clean and organized but our Sam's is not. However I do have a family member that goes there frequently. I've been a Costco member for years.

Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

What is BJs store? Never heard of it. There is a Sams two towns over. Never been in a Costco.

BJ's is a large "warehouse" store.  It stands for Berkley & Jensen. You can get larger amounts for lower prices on groceries, dry goods and seasonal items. They have lots of electronics, small appliances tires and a gas station with much lower gas prices. Mine has an optical store and a travel agent, too.

Respected Contributor

@elated wrote:

I have been a member of Sam's Club since they opened three years ago. I paid $45.00 per year. I just joined Costco because I had a gift card. Their membership is $60.00 a year. I prefer Sam's because it is 5 minutes from my home plus their store is organized. They have signs up on each aisle advising what products are located in that section.

Costco has no signs only numbers on each aisle, therefore, you wander around looking for your item. I even asked if the numbers referred to products and was told no. Costco is 25 to 30 minutes from my home.

I am single and go about once a month or so to buy many items. Yesterday I bought a pair of Seven Seven powder blue jeans for $9.81. They are very nice and fit. They have good deals on their clothing. Costco had some nice clothing for great prices, i.e. Calvin Klein for about $18.00.

@elated :  Costco chooses not to identify "aisles" as it is a way for you to go up and down each aisle looking for your product.  They move stuff around in the store all the time,  again for the consumer to browse.  Yes, they are very organized with the layout of their store.   I have been a member of Costco and Sam's and choose Costco 99% of the time.

Respected Contributor

Thank you! I never once heard of it here in the Midwest.  Sounds like Sams that is a couple of towns over. I no longer have a Sams card though.

Honored Contributor

We have BJ's, Costco and Sam's all near us.  Currently, we belong to Costco and Sam's.  We used to be member's of BJ's because they were first to open in the area.  I also sometimes take advantage of their free three month memberships. They are further drive than the other two stores.  I do like BJ's.

If you belong to BJ's, you probably do not need a Costco membership, but you might want to check them out before you decide.  You do not need a membership to go into their warehouse.  Just tell the gate keeper that you are going to the pharmacy.

In my area, items in Costco are usually more expensive than Sam's and BJ's.  I think BJ's baked goods and prepared foods are much better than Costco.  Costco has more selection than either BJ's or Sam's club.

Costco is always busy.  It doesn't matter when you shop, you have to circle for a parking spot and walk a distance to get into the store.  You also have to wait forever in the check out line.  They also have a habit of moving things around in the store on a regular basis

so, you have to hunt for things. If my knees are killing me, I sometimes come home without getting everything on my list because it is too painful to walk around looking for items that have been moved to a different area.

Unlike Sam's and BJ's, Costco's seldom discounts seasonal items to clear out the stores. If you have your eye on a patio umbrella and don't get it right when you see it, the whole inventory could be gone the next day, which is usually in August when the Christmas stuff appears. In BJ's and Sam's they discount seasonal items to clear out inventory which translates into great bargains.

I have visited several Costco's in the US and they are not all alike.  Some are better than others.  Check out your local warehouse when it's open and see if it is worth it to join.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @Carmie