Frequent Contributor
I don't know if all Costco stores are the same, but in the spring we went into one in Pennsylvania (not members because there isn't one close to us) just to check the store out and they wouldn't let us in unless we bought a membership. No guest pass, nothing.
Honored Contributor

we have all three in our area and i prefer SAMS CLUB.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I have been a member of Sam's Club since they opened three years ago. I paid $45.00 per year. I just joined Costco because I had a gift card. Their membership is $60.00 a year. I prefer Sam's because it is 5 minutes from my home plus their store is organized. They have signs up on each aisle advising what products are located in that section.

Costco has no signs only numbers on each aisle, therefore, you wander around looking for your item. I even asked if the numbers referred to products and was told no. Costco is 25 to 30 minutes from my home.

I am single and go about once a month or so to buy many items. Yesterday I bought a pair of Seven Seven powder blue jeans for $9.81. They are very nice and fit. They have good deals on their clothing. Costco had some nice clothing for great prices, i.e. Calvin Klein for about $18.00.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just realized that I have never seen anyone on the forum say they were going to BJ's.  Costco seems to be the popular one.

Respected Contributor

We have both BJ's and Costco memberships. We shop more often at BJ's because it is closer, 10 minutes. Costco is about 40 minutes away. We shop both because they sell different items. Love Costco when they have their seafood sale. Alaskian King crab legs, scallops, salmon,etc. BJ's doesn't have that special sale. Different stores for different items.

Honored Contributor

@Beachgirl42 wrote:
I don't know if all Costco stores are the same, but in the spring we went into one in Pennsylvania (not members because there isn't one close to us) just to check the store out and they wouldn't let us in unless we bought a membership. No guest pass, nothing.

@Beachgirl42.  That's very strange because I'm not a member of Costco but I've been there numerous times to get prescriptions filled at their pharmacy,  which you can do without being a member.  I just tell the guy at the door, and there's no problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We have both BJ’s and Costco in our area, but I’ve never gone to the Costco. BJ’s is 5 minutes away from our house, has plenty of free parking and carries most of the merchandise we use at excellent prices. The Costco’s a half-hour away on a good day and the parking situation leaves a lot to be desired. 

I do about 95% of our grocery shopping at BJ’s. I go once a week (during the week) and only go to our local Harris Teeter to pick up a few items that I can’t get at BJ’s. BJ’s also sells products on its website, which I’ve used occasionally. If I remember correctly, everything I ordered online had free shipping. The money I’ve saved at BJ’s covers the annual membership fee many times over.

Honored Contributor

Re: BJ's versus Costco

[ Edited ]

I have been a Costco shopper for years and I get a rebate back every year that more than covers the membership and lets me buy something special..  We do not have a BJ's - in fact the first I ever heard of it was on this forum.  We did have Sam's Club but they have all closed in my area so I guess no one was shopping there.  

Super Contributor

I have a Costco and a BJ about half an hour in either direction from my home.  I choose BJ's to have a membershipt because they take coupons, not only theirs but manufactures coupons as well so you can double up on savings.  (Sams club here went out of business a couple of years ago)

Trusted Contributor

Re: BJ's versus Costco

[ Edited ]

@elated , interesting note that Costco is not organized. One would think the more expensive store would be easier to navigate. BJ's has a sort of confusing seasonal area up front, but the rest of the aisles are organized and have signs.

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like Costco is much loved. I get a discount on the BJ's membership through my employer. If they offer a Costco discount when it opens, I might give it a try.

In comparison, BJ's sounds a little "friendlier" whereas Costco sounds sort of country club-ish.