Trusted Contributor

The Costco thread got me thinking - what is different between BJ's and Costco?

I've never visited a Costco. We shop at BJ's and get gas there often.  They're building a Costco a few towns from us.

Do I "need" both memberships?

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover I don't know anything about BJ's.  But I do have both Costco and Sam's club memberships.  I do this because they both have products that I purchase regularly that the other doesn't offer (especially organic produce) and the money I save more than covers the cost of membership. I shop at both weekly.  That might/might not be true for you.  When the Costco is open, you might take a look (I think they will allow this without membership) and see if they offer enough products that you would buy regularly and weigh the cost of the membership.

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd  good idea, I forgot that BJ's had an open house for a couple weeks when they first opened. I'm sure Costco will do the same - we'll check it out!

Honored Contributor

I think Costco will let non-members visit anytime; they just can't buy anything.  At least, the Costco near me did.  At entry, they asked to see my card and I explained I wasn't a member but was thinking of joining and just wanted to have a look around.

Respected Contributor

In our area we have a BJ's, Costco and Sam's

To compare BJ's and Costco is like comparing Sears and Nordstroms

Costco is much nicer and has a far better variety. 

Costco also has on online store.  If you need a great price on a casket-Costco (yes they really do sell caskets)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
I don’t know if it has changed, but you used to be able to go to the service desk at Costco and ask for a guest pass. This allowed you to buy but you had to pay a surcharge and it was good only one time. I would suggest buying a basic membership and see how you like it.....then upgrade to an executive one where you get cash back at the end of the year,
Respected Contributor

I shop only at Costco since it is 3 miles away.  I went to BJ's (30 minute ride) before Costco opened and it was good.  Sam's is too far away to even consider.  I saw little difference between the two stores but my household is 2 seniors and I don't buy a lot.  

Honored Contributor

Re: BJ's versus Costco

[ Edited ]

I agree....much better quality at Costco..

I was not able to purchase a casket from Costco when it was needed...they only deliver caskets on certain days, to certain places, and certain times... can’t imagine how anyone manages to actually buy one. 
On the positive side, Costco.com does carry extended size ranges for men’s clothing..,nice dress shirts and dress pants as well as casual clothes....same for women’s in some items. 

They do sell many more things on their website than in the warehouses.

Honored Contributor

Re: BJ's versus Costco

[ Edited ]

We presently belong to both Sam's and Costco. We did join BJ's but let the membership lapse. The BJ stores are not as close. And it seemed the selection of stuff was better at Sam's.

People talk about buying things at Costco but I never see the items at my local Costco. So except to buy gas, I have not been in a Costco in months. It is always so time consuming to check out. On a busy day they have 4 lanes open to check out. So it takes forever to get out of there.

So we end up going to Sam's on a regular basis. There are 3 Sam's Clubs within about 10 miles from my house. So between the 3 stores, the selection is quite varied. And the produce is so fresh and good. They have the best peaches. We end up buying a case every week.

Sam's also has self check out if you want and last time I was there there were also 6 lanes open with cashiers. So checking out, there was no waiting.

Each store has their plus and minuses. Why not ask for a pass and try each one? And see which one you prefer.

PS - As I was just cleaning out the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator, I thought of another reason I prefer Sam's. I can buy a 3 pound bag of baby carrots at Sam's for $3.99. The same 3 pound bag of baby carrots by the same company is $6.99 at Costco.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Costco also has on online store.

So does BJ's.

Every 4 months or so  you can get a BJ's 3 month pass in the mail, local newspaper, magazines, etc.  I have been using those passes intead of joining until approximately 18 months ago.  They offered me a 18 month membership for $25.  I took their offer which expires next month.  Yesterday, in the mail I got a 3 month pass.  I will be using that come Sept until I get another 18 month offer.

One year membership - $55. NOPE!!!!!! Man Tongue

I have never heard of Costco until I came on this message board.  In my neck of the woods it's BJ's & Sam Club.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif