Trusted Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines 😋(SCAMMED)

@kitcat51 wrote:

Glad you blocked her number & My Life doesn't have correct information either...I'm listed as a Muslim from Iraq with a criminal record but I'm a Christian born in the USA & I don't even have a speeding ticket. So many scams, we need to keep up with them to stay save online & in our homes. Take care @cbrite .

I was going to say the same thing. MyLife seems to pick information/facts out of the air. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines 😋

@cbrite  Given that both crooks and telemarketers alike can now spoof pretty much anyone's number, it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility that the woman 'returning' the phone call did, in fact, receive a call from what appeared to be your number... I've even had my own number show up on my caller ID, along with lots of other numbers identified as something or someone they weren't...

Surely, in these times, it pays to be cautious, maybe even a little bit paranoid, but I'm not sure the full blown hysteria some seem to be experiencing is called for... If the woman didn't seek to obtain personal information of the sort that could lead to problems, then the call might have been innocent. If, at any time, she did start pumping for information, best to get rid of her and block future calls...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The OP's # was probably spoofed and that's why the person said it was a call back..

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom -

I don't understand what you are saying?

I think by modifying her title and all the subsequent posts, it is a good reminder to all of us, gullible or not to be cautious and wary of any calls, esp the overly nice ones from strangers. Or people at the door, strangers selling things door to door,

people needing help or money in parking lots etc etc. Not to be paranoid but to be aware of our surroundings at home and outside and on the phone or any social media.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines ?(SCAMMED)

[ Edited ]

So sorry this happened to you, @cbrite! My Life - with connections to many other websites is an “information brokerage” group. Known scammers, who have been sued many times. 

They must have moved on to phone spoofing scamming now. I can't see why they have not been completely shut down by now. 

One would have to join their site, pay a fee and delete their info to have it scrubbed from their data mining software. Or visibly, at least. Doubt it goes anywhere, unless to the Dark Web. Then they’d have your system's IP address with which to learn more about you. Email you spam and breach your contacts list to harass them, too. 

You can read more here: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyLife

Thanks for the warning! I used to see their TV commercials running late at night all the time when I lived in CA. Scammers have no shame. They will always find another way to deceive and steal. 😡

Honored Contributor

Huh?  How could se re dial your number if you didn't call her first?  Sounds strange to me.  If your new found "friend" calls you again, don't give her your credit card number...LOL

Honored Contributor

@cbrite 

This....

"she'd re dialed (my) this number and who am I....."

"living in my City in the mountain areas "

"we began a friendship of sorts... "

tmi_by_mirz123-d5w4e9o.gif......This person now knows your name, your address, already your phone# &Lawd knows what other personal info you intentionally and/or inattentionally gave out.

More than likely your ID is already being sold on the "Dark Web."

Or, you are being slowly "groomed" to send $$$ in the near future since YOU "began a friendship of sorts" (if your bank accounts have not already been drained).

If this happened to a love one of mine, I would suggest that they keep an eye out of their bank accounts, credit cards (notify them to red flag), check the big 3 credit rept companies & to notify your local police IN PERSON & the FBI by filing an online report.  The police & FBI should be notified of possible scam artist working in your area so as to warn others.  Seniors, gullable, niave & lonely folks are the scam artists favorite targets.  You did mention in one of your responses you were scammed before.  Police aware???? 

The reason scammers are so bold & get away w/it is because "folks" are too embarressed/shamed to report to their local police department and/or families.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

So many scary scenarios could've happened if you had continued with this new "friendship".

Picture it, the conversations continue, and one day, either you or her suggests meeting up for a cup of coffee.

While at the coffee shop chatting away with your new "bestie", her co-horts are back at your place robbing you blind.

Or,

they lie in wait for you to come home, where they could do all sorts of horrific things to you, and you may never be seen or heard from again.

They could kidnap you, r@pe you, beat you, torture you, maybe even kill you, and who know if your body would ever be found.

Far fetched?

Try watching true crime shows on tv sometime, and then tell me if that possibility is far fetched.

One just canNOT go blindly trusting people just because they "seem" nice, have a "friendly, pleasant" voice.

Believe me, the scammers knows who their targets (a.k.a. victims) are.

They play them, gain their trust, get them to let their guard down, then that's when they attack.

The "Con" in con-artist is short for confidence, meaning, they work at gaining your confidence in them, then WHAM! they attack and they gotcha.

Believe me, I had to fight my share of scammers because they knew that my dad was an easy mark.

They knew that he would believe them when they told him that he won a million dollars in some (fake) lottery.

I was able to save my dad from blindly handing over his hard earned pension and savings.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines 🤬👎(SCAMMED)

It's over and done. My bank accts are fine. I used the term "friendship of sorts" loosely..... and I DID feel an odd warning when she said she'd 're dialed' my number....... but I have workers here and thought possibly they might have used my phone. They have in the past w/o my permission nor knowledge.... and I've never had those companies return to work. 

Thank you again for your concerns.... warnings and replies. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines 🤬👎(SCAMMED)

Something is really fishy with this situation. I agree that you should not take any of her calls. She might be setting you up for a scam. It's not worth it, don't fall for her "friendship".