Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aware of our surroundings

@patbz wrote:

I remember an incident years ago that has stuck with me:  at Ontario Mall in Southern CALIFORNIA  a lady was attacked and killed ascend was unloading her car in a parking area.  The Mall subsequently built a watch tower to help secure the area;  I only shopped at that Mall one more time after that.

That is horrible. Did the watch tower make you feel any safer? Just wondering. I feel they should have armed gaurds in all the malls, but I haven't seen it. My daughter told me a week or so ago, that where she shops for groceries in Little Rock has an armed gaurd there at least some of the time. It looks like is a small grocery store can do that, these big malls could too.

Respected Contributor

I used to live about 15 miles south of the Mall of America.  My Mother loved it when I took her there.  Me, not so much.  The parking ramps creeped me out.  So many people, so getting a parking spot where you did not have to walk long ways in the ramp was about impossible.  

Sometimes I think my family thinks I am beyond vigilant.  Our doors are always locked.  I have a long driveway, and I even lock my door to go get the mail, as I can not see the house from the mailbox.  Like I said earlier, I don't get out of my car once in the garage till that door comes down.

It's really sad that we have to have that nagging fear in the back of our heads.  You get that "gut butterfly feeling" in your stomach?  Pay attention to it.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A neighbor was almost mugged in the grocery store parking lot here yesterday...still daylight, about 6:45; she managed to walk back into the store when she saw them get out of their car and walk quickly towards her as she approached her own car. She was still shaking when I spoke to her. You can never be too careful and I am glad she had the foresight to go back into the store. I try to never be out alone at night but it gets harder to do in winter.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad your friend is ok, @lovesrecess.

The news tonight said they had arrested 2 people in the disappearance and murder of Elvia Fragstein.

The boys were 16 and 18. The 18 yr old was already in jail for something else. The 16 year old looked like a kid. I told my dh, if I was out and about, and someone came up to me who looked just like that, I'd feel the need to help him, as he looked like a little boy to me.

Honored Contributor

so sad😢 unfortunately, it's the world we live in today. 

About 4 yrs ago a lady who lived in our community took her sick husband to a doctor in a unfamiliar area.  They got "lost" in not so good area & carjacked.  Sadly, both were severely beaten and died within 2 weeks of each other.

I'm always aware of my surroundings, especially when I am pumping gas or using ATM.  And I still check my backseat before I get in the car (my dad always told us to do this).  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Let's not over react to one single incident.  I think there must be more to the story, perhaps she knew the person who abducted her.  I watched a lot of those shows on ID and it seems that women almost willingly walk into horrendous situations and when they are in extreme danger, they do what the abductor tells them to do.  Why?  I do not know.  If someone holds a knife or gun to me and tells me to get into a car or walk this way or that way;  you can be blood sure that won't cooperate.  If I yell, scream, fight, bite, kick then I have a chance of surviving but if go with that person, I'm dead.  A man would never fall for "get in this car or I'll kill you"  or "if you do what I say, no harm will come to you".  It seems that women cower when they should fight.  Having said that, such abductions  are so rare that none of us need worry about them.  Of course, we should be cautious about locking our car doors and tucking our bags under our arms to secure them and being aware of our surroundings and not showing that we are carrying lots of cash because robbery is a problem.    

Let's face it , it is going to happen to someone. What ever in the world would make you think it couldn't possibly be you or one of us? 

It's that kind of thought (and the actions that follow) that provide the targets for the people who do these kinds of things.