Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aware of our surroundings

@Nataliesgramma  Good point. I keep car doors locked, with only keys in hand, as I pump gas.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Hold your keys like this.

Image result for way to hold keys defensely

Honored Contributor

I see so many older women in my local grocery who exhibit such cluelessness as they move thru the store.   To me they are easy targets for anyone casing the store for a victim.   Many times I have loaded our groceries by myself, because I asked my husband to watch these older women to insure they are safe in the parking lot.   

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Yesterday, it was reported that a lady was abducted in broad daylight from a popular shopping mall last Saturday in the middle of the day. This is a very busy area, I don't understand how no one saw anything, but there were security cameras that did capture some things. They found her body, she was positivley identified yesterday in a town about an hour or so away.

When I go out during the day, I pay attention, but I will admit I am not nearly as attentive as when I go out at night by myself.

Ladies, be careful. This woman was 71 years of age.

I do lock my car doors when I get out to go in the store, but after I put my groceries up, I walk the grocery cart to a cart corral thing and those are spread out all over. My daughter pointed out to me that when you are taking care of the cart, someone could get inside your car, as some folks are speculating may have happened to this poor lady. Its just something to think about.

@happycat  Oh what a very sad story.  And most likely targeted for her age.  Poor woman-I cannot imagine her fear.

I am very seldom out without DH but we are aware at all times.

An 80 year old lady here just had her necklace snatched right off her neck outside a store-the necklace had her deceased husband's wedding band on it.  It's all caught on camera but guarantee the ring is long gone.  So cruel.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I never take a handbag to the grocery store anymore.  I put my debit card, drivers license and other important cards in one of Lori Grenier's waist wallets.  They are very secure and can't be seen under clothing or felt by the wearer.  It's great to be hands free and rid of that magnet for purse snatchers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

Yesterday, it was reported that a lady was abducted in broad daylight from a popular shopping mall last Saturday in the middle of the day. This is a very busy area, I don't understand how no one saw anything, but there were security cameras that did capture some things. They found her body, she was positivley identified yesterday in a town about an hour or so away.

When I go out during the day, I pay attention, but I will admit I am not nearly as attentive as when I go out at night by myself.

Ladies, be careful. This woman was 71 years of age.

I do lock my car doors when I get out to go in the store, but after I put my groceries up, I walk the grocery cart to a cart corral thing and those are spread out all over. My daughter pointed out to me that when you are taking care of the cart, someone could get inside your car, as some folks are speculating may have happened to this poor lady. Its just something to think about.

@happycat  Oh what a very sad story.  And most likely targeted for her age.  Poor woman-I cannot imagine her fear.

I am very seldom out without DH but we are aware at all times.

An 80 year old lady here just had her necklace snatched right off her neck outside a store-the necklace had her deceased husband's wedding band on it.  It's all caught on camera but guarantee the ring is long gone.  So cruel.

That's bad too, and hurts to say, that 80 year old lady is probably lucky she the necklace and wedding ring were all she lost. How screwed up are people thinking to feel do things like this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always lock my car when I get gas and when I return my grocery cart to the cart corral.  In fact, I also always test to see that I have successfully locked the doors.

My fear is that, in time, I will forget to do this.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lease cars every 3 years.  The first thing I do is have them re-set the door locks.  I want to be in control and do not like that the doors do not lock until you start the engine or later.

Only the driver's side will unlock when I tell it to.  I park, unlock it myself and open my door and re-lock it myself.  When I get back to my car, only my door unlocks, I get in and lock my door immediately.

When I take my cart to the corral, I lock the doors and when I return, only my door unlocks.  Same when pumping gas.....only my door unlocks.

Esteemed Contributor

This happened a few weeks ago near my house ... a young couple was walking home after a night out.  They saw a woman laying on the sidewalk face down.  They noticed a car idling a few doors down and became suspicious.  One started to call 911, at which point the woman jumped up and ran for the car.

The couple told police they think they were going to be robbed but the woman on the sidewalk panicked when they started to call the police.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I see so many older women in my local grocery who exhibit such cluelessness as they move thru the store.   To me they are easy targets for anyone casing the store for a victim.   Many times I have loaded our groceries by myself, because I asked my husband to watch these older women to insure they are safe in the parking lot.   

@RedTop  True but I have seen children sitting in shopping carts while mom (usually) is wandering down the aisle alone-and on her phone.  Anybody could snatch that child right out of the cart.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh