Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, it was reported that a lady was abducted in broad daylight from a popular shopping mall last Saturday in the middle of the day. This is a very busy area, I don't understand how no one saw anything, but there were security cameras that did capture some things. They found her body, she was positivley identified yesterday in a town about an hour or so away.

When I go out during the day, I pay attention, but I will admit I am not nearly as attentive as when I go out at night by myself.

Ladies, be careful. This woman was 71 years of age.

I do lock my car doors when I get out to go in the store, but after I put my groceries up, I walk the grocery cart to a cart corral thing and those are spread out all over. My daughter pointed out to me that when you are taking care of the cart, someone could get inside your car, as some folks are speculating may have happened to this poor lady. Its just something to think about.

Honored Contributor

Re: Aware of our surroundings

It's a good idea for everyone to find a good self defense school or at least go to even a one night thing to get tips and tricks.  I enrolled in a school that taught many different self defense techniques.  Being aware in any situation is hard to do but you make yourself unapproachable as a victim if you exhibit signs of being alert, confident and aware rather than not paying attention.  Victims are usually chosen from those that appear to be not paying attention to their surroundings.  If you happen to be chosen as the victim, find a way to draw attention to yourself and don't allow yourself to be isolated.  Become dead weight and drop to the floor if you can.  Make the person work to abduct you.  Odds are you will not harmed with many witnesses around and odds are that you will be harmed or killed if you go quietly.  I never leave my car unlocked even when returning a cart or getting gas.  

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately these are the times in which we live.  When putting grocceries in my car, I then lock my door to prevent anyone fro getting inside while the car is unattended.

Respected Contributor

So true.  I learned that rule #1 is to not allow the person to take you anywhere else.  If you go to another location, the odds of your being killed are much higher.  Less risky to cause a fuss, make a scene, punch and kick, while in the original location.  He might be scared off.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

So true.  I learned that rule #1 is to not allow the person to take you anywhere else.  If you go to another location, the odds of your being killed are much higher.  Less risky to cause a fuss, make a scene, punch and kick, while in the original location.  He might be scared off.

That’s what we have been told—don’t ever let them take you from point A to point B. One of our news ladies has preached this survival technique for years. I hope to remember this is ever confronted.

Honored Contributor

If you are paranoid about taking you groceries to the car shop where they load the groceries for you. Publix does and then they take away the cart.

Trusted Contributor

Another great tip is to not sit in your car after you get in to check your phone, etc. They say to lock your doors immediately and drive away. The first thing I do after I close the car door is to lock the doors. I try to be aware of my surroundings at all times. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If you are paranoid about taking you groceries to the car shop where they load the groceries for you. Publix does and then they take away the cart.

We don't have Publix here, only Kroger and Walmart. I have been asked at Walmart if I wanted help when I had a cart full of stuff. That is a good idea.

Esteemed Contributor

I always put my small handbag in first....and take a look around before loading my groceries in the car....we have had women who get their handbag taken when they are putting groceries in their car. They leave it in the cart and turn around and its gone...

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

Another great tip is to not sit in your car after you get in to check your phone, etc. They say to lock your doors immediately and drive away. The first thing I do after I close the car door is to lock the doors. I try to be aware of my surroundings at all times. 

I'm guilty of that, you are right. Not a good idea to sit there like a sitting duck.