Esteemed Contributor

Re: Avoiding colds & flu in the winter - How?

Clean household and your office surfaces regularly with anti-bacterial wipes or alcohol.

Schools are a real Petri dish! The sickest I ever was occurred during my first years teaching, especially in schools that were new to me.

DS had a real neatnick elementary school teacher. She had each kid wash his/her hands -supervised by her- before and after lunch. She also wiped down each desk and surface after hours daily. I told her that if she would go to that effort, I would keep her supplied with soap and wipes, as my son was prone to febrile seizures when he became ill.

That was the only year that he did not miss a day of school.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I don't get sick very often.  I always get a flu shot.  I also try to get enough sleep, eat right, and exercise.  If I get too worn down, I will get a bad cold.  

Same here. I try to keep my immune system active as much as possible. I am not someone who gets multiple colds per year (some years none, others one, or two max in 12 months). Funny - when I was working and out in public all the time I went years without a single sniffle. Now that I'm retired and not out & about every day I've gotten more colds than before.

I will get sick if I'm stressed and physically run down. I take basic precautions when out in public during cold and flu season when I remember to do so - which isn't religiously every time. Since I personally have no reason to greatly fear the common cold (I know there are those who do have reason), I'm kind of que será, será about them - except from mid-Nov through New Years. I'm more proactive then just because of the social aspect - don't want a cold to keep me away from people & doings.

Extra vitamins C and B, Airborne or similar. A bit more hand and grocery cart sanitizing. Aside from that, nada.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Keep away from coughing folks in pharmacies and supermarkets, and wherever else. ('I know', they could have allergies, but I don't advise asking them whether or not their cough is a cold.)   Also, try to keep away from doctor's office waiting rooms unless you are already ill or have an important concern, etc.  Have yearly exams in seasons other than common flu seasons.  ......... And, yes, keep our children/grand children, etc. as clean as possible, making sure that they wash their hands before handling family food items.  (In other words: Don't let them put their hands into a bag of chips, especially when they aren't feeling well. I'll probably think of more suggestions later on.   No Internet service most of yesterday and this morning/day, but it's working right now. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

You are lucky 

if you get a bout of flu you might change your mind on the shots 

last flu took me 2 months before I was back to normal and I am a healthy person 

as soon as the vaccine is out we get them 

I can relate to that.  I had the flu when I was much younger and healthy and it took me 6 months to recover.  I had to be hospitalized twice once for the high fever and just as I was recovering, it developed into pneumonia.  Lost 40lbs and it took 6 months for a full recovery.  I think the vast majority of people don't know what influenza is, they don't have clue.  They also don't know that you know you have the flu by getting a lab test.  They confuse coughs and colds with the flu. 

ITA. Everything and anything is not the flu, which has several specific symptoms that an ordinary virus does not. If a person genuinely gets influenza and has not had a flu shot, they will come to understand what they have not realized or believed before they got it. If you get the flu unprotected, you do not bounce back to normal in a week - yes, even healthy people in their 30s & 40s.

The last time I had the flu I was in my 40s. I was wiped out for an entire month and off work almost 3 weeks. It took a couple of months after that for me to feel human again - and I had no underlying illnesses, I was healthy otherwise.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention:  Use those sanitizing wipies at the entrance of supermarkets.  Thoroughly wipe shopping cart handles.   Also, be sure to wash well all produce, just in case someone with a cold, flu, etc. touched individual produce items such as apples, etc., etc.  We (well, many of us, or at least some of us) do have to be careful during possibly / potentially dangerous illness seasons. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

I'd say the best precaution is to never take a job in a school or daycare center.  Kids are little walking petrie dishes of germs!

Valued Contributor

Also never use Lysol around your dogs or cats. I forget the chemical in it, but it causes breathing trouble in the animals. It's one of those really long, words that you can't pronouce, but it can cause your pet to stop breathing. I was told that by my vet when I was going to clean out my cats carrier after an accident. Use watered down bleach instead. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not a germaphobe, but I keep hand sanitizer in my car and wash my hands immediately after getting back from being out in public.  I try not to touch my eyes, nose, or mouth until I can wash my hands.  I use a hand wipe on ALL grocery carts before touching.

I take a probiotic every day and also do a nasal rinse (use Neil Med bottle).  I try to eat the best I can, drink lots of water, and try to exercise at least 5 days a week. 

If I feel a sore throat coming on, I gargle with salt water.  If I get a cold, I make a hot toddy.  Warm whiskey can do wonders!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

LRe: Avoiding colds & flu in the winter - How?

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Many years ago I took Lisinopril for HBP and I was in the emergency room unable to breathe with bronchitis regularly.  When I discovered the ta blocker med was causing the bronchitis and ditched the Lsinopril (used herbs -Carditone instead)  I have not been sick since.  I've been healthy except for this anomaly.  I don't take any meds but I do eat an organic plant based diet, practice stress management, get enough sleep, and exercise daily.  I do not get flu shots.

I dearly hope you are being checked for HBP,  the med that made you cough  is a beta blocker and coughing is a common side effect.  There are other HB meds out there that are not beta blockers.  

Vitamins and herbs are not the way to treat HBP.  HBP killed my mom at age 62...Be diligent with your medical care.

Honored Contributor

I worked in a hospital for 27 years; always took the flu shot, and never had the flu while I worked there.   During times of high census related to the flu, our facility often stopped open visitation, in an effort to reduce exposure for patients and staff.   I stayed in my office, ate lunch brought from home, and only left the office to go to the bathroom, and at quitting time.   

Now that I'm retired, what works best for me is to avoid exposure by staying home as much as possible.   Starting this month thru December, I stock my pantry and freezer with enough food and supplies to keep me out of stores for at least 3 months.  I try to make sure I have everything we might possibly need by Christmas, then stay home and enjoy lots of days in my pajamas.   My husband is out 3x a week, and teacher daughter is out daily; they pick up bread and milk as needed, but since we use very little of both products, no one is asked to make many trips to the store. With 3 refrigerators and 1 freezer, I am able to stock a lot of food for the 4 of us.   

All of our medical appts are scheduled before 9 a.m. anyway, so we get in and out early, and always sit in an empty corner of the waiting area.   At the VA clinic, we ride the elevator alone, or take the stairs.   We NEVER eat out during flu season.   

I wipe down our bathrooms with clorox wipes every single day, and use bleach in the toilet.   For many years now, each bathroom is stocked with large bottles of peroxide that we use to disinfect our toothbrush after every use.  We only use our toothbrushes for one month, and then toss.  Handtowels are changed out daily, bathtowels every other day.

I add a capful of bleach to my dishwater and also change my dishrag and dishcloth out every other day.   I wash doorknobs with clorox wipes 2-3x a week, and also wipe off all phones and remote controls frequently.