Respected Contributor

Avoiding colds & flu in the winter - How?

Do you get sick easily?

How do you avoid getting sick in the winter?

Someone told me they never get sick because they eat WHOLE garlic cloves.

Anyone else do this?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Avoiding colds & flu in the winter - How?

I don't get sick very often.  I always get a flu shot.  I also try to get enough sleep, eat right, and exercise.  If I get too worn down, I will get a bad cold.  

Honored Contributor

Flu shot.  Flu shot.  Flu shot.  Wash hands.  Wash hands.  Wash hands.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wow-before I even read your last part I was going to say I have one garlic capsule a day and rarely get a cold. I use it for lowering cholesterol.

edited to add: I have never gotten a flu shot and I've never gotten the flu.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Wash hands frequentlly especially after being out in public places. Wipe doorknobs, tv remotes, etc.on a somewhat regular basis (and more so if someone is sick in the house).   If possible open a window now and then to air out germs.  Eat well, sleep well,  exercise, stay hydrated.  

Esteemed Contributor

I never get a flu shot nor do I get the flu.

Constant hand washing is key! Keep hands away from eyes, nose and mouth.

Get outdoors as weather permits, Hydrate at all times, Air out the house when possible- even if for 15 minutes. Don't let the house get too dry- indoor humidity is vital during the cold months.

Finally: eat well. Prepare your own healthy food as much and as often as possible.

Valued Contributor

Stay out of the doctor's office! My old doctor used to have his staff call and insist on you coming in the beginning of each year. They would refuse to refill prescriptions until you saw the doctor even if you had just been there. Then they would keep you sitting in the waiting area with all the sick people for at least 1 hour, more if possible. He could then get you coming back after you got sick. He also ordered all sorts of yearly tests at the beginning of the year when the hospitals are full of sick people, and your deductable was back to zero. I go to a different doctor now. 

Respected Contributor

I get a yearly flu shot.  When I go shopping or am in another public area...wash my hands as soon as I get home.  There were a couple weeks when a bad virus was rampant in my area over the winter..for two weeks I avoided church...,.didnt want to be that close to other people for that long and the hand shaking, etc.   

it's been years since I have even had a cold....hope my lucky streak lasts!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been many years since I've gotten a cold or the flu.  I don't get a flu shot....EVER.

I do make sure that my immune system is the best it can be.  I take vitamin D3 along with vitamin K (I always make sure to take them together)  plus vitamin C.

My DH and I eat lots of organic vegetables, grass fed beef & pastured chicken ...no CAFO meat or poultry and no processed foods.  I wash my hands often and try to avoid the doctors office where you'll find lots of sick people and germs.

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since I quit working I don't get sick as often. Work is nothing but a giant Petri dish. I also get a flu shot. My husband won't and if he gets sick I will usually get a lighter version of it. 2-3 days vs 7 or more.