Valued Contributor

Re: Avoiding Grandparents’ Scam

@Nightowlz wrote:

My MIL got the same call. She knew it was a scam because her grandson had just died. She said he did sound like him.

How awful for her to get that call especially under the circumstances. My deepest sympathy.

Valued Contributor

@froggy wrote:

Why even engage with these people? It's always a scam. Just block the number and hang up.

But as someone else said on here, you can't always block the number they might be calling from as it could be a close relatives phone number they are using to call you from (unless you don't want to hear from that relative ever again Smiley Very Happy).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here in our town there was a story about a young lady who received one of these scam calls.  She was told by the caller to go to a 7/11 and purchase a large quantity of iTunes gift cards to pay a bill that she supposedly owed.  

This young lady wasn't a native of the US and the call frightened her so she was going to do exactly what they said.  

Fortunately in line behind her at the 7/11 was a deputy sheriff who after seeing what was going on stopped her and explained that it was a scam and not to send them anything.  

That story made me so angry.  To be the person who preys on those who don't understand or are vulnerable, like our elderly, makes you such a loathsome creature.  

It's so sad that many of those calls originate from overseas and the perpetrators cannot be found and charged.

Honored Contributor

Excellent advice.  However, I doubt there will ever be a time when I don't recognize the voices of my grandchildren.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago - I rec'd 2 ot the grandma calls. I also knew about it - and I'm not a grandmother. I said, "this seems like a scam." He said, "what's a scam?" There was no caller ID - and his voice was soft and could have fit anyone's grandson.