Honored Contributor

Re: Autumn Has Arrived at the Bird's Nest - October 2016

What's for breakfast? << today's dose of squirrel cuteness. #waitingforRedsandGrays:

Hi Birding Friends,   I think the chilly weather we have had since I got home on the 24th of September  caused 'my' Chimney Swifts to migrate south to warmer areas.   I heard them when I got home on that day and then nothing, since.  I keep looking and listening, but haven't heard them as they fly around our property and haven't seen them.   I keep hoping, and it's supposed to warm up a bit over the next 2 days.  Then another front is supposed to come this way. 

I just plain love those little "flying cigars/torpedoes", and did get to see them in the Spring and for one day here in September.   Hoping they have a safe migration and then come back here next spring. Heart

Honored Contributor

@possummink wrote:

What's for breakfast? << today's dose of squirrel cuteness. #waitingforRedsandGrays:

Hi Birding Friends,   I think the chilly weather we have had since I got home on the 24th of September  caused 'my' Chimney Swifts to migrate south to warmer areas.   I heard them when I got home on that day and then nothing, since.  I keep looking and listening, but haven't heard them as they fly around our property and haven't seen them.   I keep hoping, and it's supposed to warm up a bit over the next 2 days.  Then another front is supposed to come this way. 

I just plain love those little "flying cigars/torpedoes", and did get to see them in the Spring and for one day here in September.   Hoping they have a safe migration and then come back here next spring. Heart

@possummink wrote:

@possummink  Lol, love the squirrel.

Respected Contributor

Squirrels are critters like many others, I do not see any longer. Ahhh, the years have not been kind to Nature's marvelous  creatures. I live right by a Wash and you sure use to see it all - owls, squirrels, coyotes (well they can stay further away it would suit me) but even they have lost what once was THEIR property, so to speak. Bernie, maybe your squirrel will come back hoping you will give IT a cup of coffee. LOL.

I am on my second cup of coffee for the morning - I normally have one cup but last few months have been hitting the second cup, occasionally a third. whoa!!!

Hope one and all have a great day. Did not get the Hummer feeders cleaned AGAIN and have not seen another Hummer. Will try and get it done today however.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I thought, whoa, better feed the outside birds and squirrels.  I had the food ready, opened the side door and caught the little black squirrel skulking near the outside bricked wall that is the kitchen window wall. 

I opened the door and said, oh no you don't.  I'm on to you.  You were going to crawl up into the window sill and scare me.

It ran over to the pavers and waited, like darn, she caught me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

If anyone is interested in making pumpkin bread, I posted my recipe in What's Cooking in October? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Mousie I don't know that I've ever eaten pumpkin bread.  I know, it's like I live under a rock, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl

Mousie I don't know that I've ever eaten pumpkin bread.  I know, it's like I live under a rock, lol.

@Bird mama  It is delicious!  They are like banana nut bread, etc. You could make the mini breads and freeze them.  The pumpkin bread can be eaten right out of the freezer without thawing, unlike some.  As I posted, I add more raisins and nuts than called for, and it it delicious without either, which is how DD likes it.  I wanted to taste hers when she was here last and made it, and it was so good that I ate the entire mini loaf, lol.

Honored Contributor

Whew it is ON at work today. 

Just stopping by to add the Bird of the Day is the African Olive Pigeon

Image result for african olive pigeon

Image result for african olive pigeon

Honored Contributor

Image result for turkeys in the wild

Luvsbulldogs,  I saw this and thought of you and your flock of wild turkeys.  I used to see them now and then in this area, but havent'f for years.   

This area sounds like Winifred's,  so many of the wild critters have moved away or died out due to lack of habitat,  shelter and food.  It seems as if some humans can't stand to see a patch of green, just trees and plants.  Once the blacktop is there, the land is never the same.  So many beautiful little plots of land in our area were paved over by some idiot who built strip mall after strip mall and used them as tax writeoffs when they failed due to a low occupancy rate.   People like that should reap the Karma they've earned due to destruction of the critter's habitat and the desecration of Earth.Cat Mad

I hadn't planned on getting on my soapbox,  Sometimes I just wander off subject. 

I hope you are doing well and have gotten some rain.  It's warming up here to the low 80ies for a couple of days.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Cardinal house hunting: