Honored Contributor

Re: August 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama   WOW, a lotta bat is right, lol.  Thank you for posting this as I have never heard of nor seen this bat.  DH spent two years there in the Peace Corp, so will ask him if he ever saw one.

Honored Contributor

hey all

super busy day, later

Honored Contributor

hello all

dh took me to staples yesterday and got me a new computer desk chair. it is a lazy boy comfy soft chair with a wood base.

stopped to see my son yesterday on way home from staples,he lives over in that neck of the woods.

today did sheets, if all goes well on thursday and i get out of this medical shoe i will be going back to tuesday sheet day and get back to normal, hate this clod hopper shoe.hurts my leg and throws off the whole balance. was at Mass last night, we went to a new church i lost my balance at Communion grabbed onto dh arm,glad he was there,he caught me, was i embarrassed.

that is about all for now, later 

Honored Contributor

@viva923   I've been watching this chair from office depot.  Normally I run in the opposite direction from anything ergonomic however I sat in this one at the store and made myself comfortable.  Feels pretty good.

Realspace® MFTC 200 Ergonomic Mesh Mid-Back Task Chair, Black

I know the medical shoe is a PITA however do you want to rush the healing process and have more bone spurs they gotta dig out?  Be patient, follow the doctor's order and know that I'm praying that this is the last time you gotta wear that shoe.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Good Night Irene @Bird mama This is one H of a bat. I am going to be honest this just about knocked me out of my chair. This would be one thing that would definitely keep me out of the Philippines. eeeekkkkk.

@Bird mama wrote:

This one's for @Leeny   I just scrolled past this on twitter and it's not a joke.  Apparently these are quite a common sight in the Phillippines.

5 foot tall this one.  Wow, didn't know they grew big enough to hug a human.  

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

Good Night Irene @Bird mama This is one H of a bat. I am going to be honest this just about knocked me out of my chair. This would be one thing that would definitely keep me out of the Philippines. eeeekkkkk.

@Bird mama wrote:

This one's for @Leeny   I just scrolled past this on twitter and it's not a joke.  Apparently these are quite a common sight in the Phillippines.

@Leeny   LOL, I think I would let out a big yelp if I came across this guy, but now that I know about them, thanks to @Bird mama , I wouldn't be as terrified as I may have been.

Respected Contributor

Re: August 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama 

Oh goodness. This woman holding this bat gives me the heebeegeebees. lol. I'd pass out. No lie. I'll leave the bats to you. I am afraid they would not get any help from me. Call me a weakling. lol

@Bird mama wrote:

I would like to clarify the bat photo.  I don't think it was necessarily manipulated after the fact however I think a photographer would know how to make the scale of the bat look larger.

The bat is real and is called the Giant Golden-Crowned Flying Fox.  That's one high falutin' name for a bat Woman Happy

Endemic to the jungles of the Philippines, this enormous species of megabat is the largest bat in the world with a wingspan of up to five and a half feet and colonies that can number up to 10,000 members.

Though flying fox megabats live in Asia, Africa, and Australia, the giant golden-crowned flying fox (Acerodon jubatus) is found exclusively in the Philippines. The largest specimen of this fruit-eating megabat species has been recorded as having a wingspan of five feet and six inches, with a rather slight bodyweight of around 2.6 pounds.

Though its wingspan is wide, this bat’s body is small. Varying between seven and 11.4 inches, these seemingly terrifying creatures don’t even exceed one foot in terms of length.

Here's a lady holding the bat - stil a lotta bat

Woman With Giant Golden Crowned Flying Fox

Here's it's foot

Giant Golden Crowned Flying Fox Claws

Unfortunately, while the world’s biggest bat works tirelessly on reforestation, its two-legged enemy below works twice as hard at deforestation.  

Unfortunately, the continuous encroachment upon the animal’s habitat has seen it virtually disappear. To be clear, one can still find the giant golden-crowned flying fox all over the Philippines — but only in areas that are peaceful enough to see it let its guard down.

It would be nice if man didn't ruin everything.  When I first saw the picture on twitter I thought yikes, now that is a bat.  Now that I've read more about it, yea, I would rush in to defend it.  And try to feed it some fruit Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@viva923 

Happy to hear you got a new computer chair. It sound really nice. Sorry to hear that you lost your balance at church, but your DH was there to catch you. Don't over do it @viva923  as you don't want to do any harm to your foot. You don't want to have to go back. 

I know you are a go getter, but we want you stay well.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bird mama 

download (3).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama   WOW, a lotta bat is right, lol.  Thank you for posting this as I have never heard of nor seen this bat.  DH spent two years there in the Peace Corp, so will ask him if he ever saw one.

@Bird mama   I asked DH and he said no.