Honored Contributor

Re: August 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

I had lightening bugs to beat the band in June and July @Leeny   Not so much in August.  I've only met 3 bats in my life.  The most exciting was the little brown bat who got into the IT department at around 5:30 pm.  

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Building - The Skyscraper Center

If you look at the BCBSM building you see the taller buidling.  Look near the bottom of the taller buidling and you see a shorter building (behind the yellow church).

This was called the support facility and we in IT worked there.  I was on the first floor.  What you can't see are the loading docks. 

One late afternoon, lots of us in IT were still working and I was sitting in my cubicle when I saw a flash of something brown out of the corner of my eye and then I heard Lillie scream.  I shot up and a bunch of guys were chasing this poor little brown bat around.  The walls of the cubicles were covered with fabric and the little bat was terrified and hanging onto the wall.  I put my empty wastepaper basket over the bat.  My wastepaper basket was immaculately clean because I used small garbage bag liners.  I think it was a baby.  I took off my cardigan sweater, dropped it in the wastepaper basket and little bat cuddled up.

I went outside where we had a small courtyardish looking area.  I put my sweater near the little base of the tree, including the bat and left it there.  I wouldn't tell anyone where I took the bat because I didn't trust that they wouldn't hurt it.  When I got home my husband said, did you leave your cardigan at work?  I said, I left it in a secluded place with a bat swaddled in it.

My husband freaked out, sigh.  When I got to work the next morning, I checked my sweater, the bat was gone.  I didn't wear the sweater until I washed it when I got home that night.

My bat experience was good Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I had lightening bugs to beat the band in June and July @Leeny   Not so much in August.  I've only met 3 bats in my life.  The most exciting was the little brown bat who got into the IT department at around 5:30 pm.  

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Building - The Skyscraper Center

If you look at the BCBSM building you see the taller buidling.  Look near the bottom of the taller buidling and you see a shorter building (behind the yellow church).

This was called the support facility and we in IT worked there.  I was on the first floor.  What you can't see are the loading docks. 

One late afternoon, lots of us in IT were still working and I was sitting in my cubicle when I saw a flash of something brown out of the corner of my eye and then I heard Lillie scream.  I shot up and a bunch of guys were chasing this poor little brown bat around.  The walls of the cubicles were covered with fabric and the little bat was terrified and hanging onto the wall.  I put my empty wastepaper basket over the bat.  My wastepaper basket was immaculately clean because I used small garbage bag liners.  I think it was a baby.  I took off my cardigan sweater, dropped it in the wastepaper basket and little bat cuddled up.

I went outside where we had a small courtyardish looking area.  I put my sweater near the little base of the tree, including the bat and left it there.  I wouldn't tell anyone where I took the bat because I didn't trust that they wouldn't hurt it.  When I got home my husband said, did you leave your cardigan at work?  I said, I left it in a secluded place with a bat swaddled in it.

My husband freaked out, sigh.  When I got to work the next morning, I checked my sweater, the bat was gone.  I didn't wear the sweater until I washed it when I got home that night.

My bat experience was good Woman Very Happy

@Bird mama   Wonderful story!  I forget where this was, but the three of us went someplace with animals and there was a bat room, tons of them, so cute.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   This reminds me of the movie the Birds, lol.

Be prepared, grackle season has arrived

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Birdmama,I haven't thought about bats in ages. When we first moved in here,almost 22 yrs.m we would sit out on the deck at night and watch the bats flying around. We had a lot of bugs,because of so many trees. So hubby put a bat house up in the tallest tree,because they eat so many bugs. We haven't seen any in a long time. How sad we're killing everything off.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

My bat story is not as valiant as yours by a long shot. We lived in an older home when the kids were little. I think bats came with the house..lol. Well, one night as I was in bed and my DH was out bowling on a league, a "big" bat was swooping in my bedroom. I grabbed my son and DD and then grabbed the phone and went into the bathroom to call DH at the bowling alley and to get home ASAP. We stayed in the bathroom until he came home, which seemed like it took him forever. Luckily our phone was on the wall next to the bathroom and we had one of those long cords..So I locked the bathroom door with cord and all I'll never forget that ordeal. I could hear that thing squeaking like crazy. When DH got home he opened our back door and the bat flew out into the night.. YAY  I think my son was 5 and my DD was just a baby. I told you I don't like bats..LOL

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Spurt  I've yet to hear one cricket chirp and it's really getting next to me.  I'm not the biggest bug fan on the planet.  That said I understand they are a part of the circle of life and once that circle is breached it's not good for anybody.  

I feed and water birds and squirrels year round.  I would say they become a bit more reliant on the food and water during the winter, especially after snow.  For the rest of the year I consider it supplemental.  I put out wildbird seed and the birds, squirrels and my chipmunk take what they like.  What's left is usually picked up by the occasional grounhog, possum or raccoon.  Saves me on my daily sweeping so I look at it like win - win.  I've put seed out and watched sparrows and other birds forage in the grass so I assume they are eating something I'm not providing.

There is a guy in the neighborhood who has 'outside' cats.  Personally outside and cat don't belong in the same sentence.  They swing by for the water I put out.  Dehydration will kill an animal sooner than hunger so I guess if I'm helping the occasional cat then okie dokie, lol.

@Bird mama 

I love all animals but not so much certain bugs (roaches for one and also fire ants).....I have two Tuxedo cats and they are strictly inside except when they go out on my fenced in patio to "sunbathe"......

Me and many of my neighbors used to feed the critters around here (deer, possums, racoons, squirrels) but the Condo Association put a stop to it saying that the food and water brought skunks, rats,and field mice.......

I feel so sorry for all the animals in this Texas drought....its so sad that they are suffering....I keep praying and hoping for rain and cooler weather too....

@Spurt  and everyone, Yes, the same is happening here in CA, have been in a draught for years, and apparently, it will be worse this Winter.

I have bird baths so try to keep them full of fresh water. and I assume other critters and bugs get water from the leaves of my plants.

I have birds, but nothing like years ago, and the only bees I see are the large black, and only a few of them.  I can tell there aren't many because I have hundreds of daylilies, and last year, I had tons of pollinated pods, this year only a few here and there, so, so sad.

I used to keep a very large dog bowl outside and the robins would line up, the whole family some squabbling while in line, lol, so funny, and the rabbits used it also.  I don't have it out any longer, forget why I don't, maybe it broke.  A coyote came for a drink once because one side of our fence was leaning back far enough for critters to get in, didn't know that until I saw deer, then investigated and fixed it.

There is a fruit orchard, small, across the road, and so many trees that there are plentiful nuts and seeds for the critters.

Honored Contributor

It is sad @Epicurean   we kill the bugs, we lose the species dependant on the bugs.  

Re: GG and the Mann's Power Blend slaw.  I buy the Mann's power blend because Grayson likes kale and Presto likes broccoli and kohlrabi.  Finley likes it when I don't bring up veggies Woman Very Happy  The bag of Mann's Power Blend that I decided to share with GG was nearing the expiration date.  GG knows what he/she wants to eat.  Three days I put the slaw out since I was gonna pitch it anyway.  Three days GG looked at it and walked by.  Today, because of all of the rain we've had over the last two days, GG was nibbling on the clover along the driveway that got revived with the rain.

GG also prefers to drink out of the bowl of water that he/she sees the birds a squirrels drinking out of in the backyard.  No more salad or water bowl out front.  Now that we got rain I'm crossing fingers a few dandelions sprout so GG can have salad his/her own way. 

Honored Contributor

I was introduced to bats via the little brown ones that didn't look real they were so small.  I can't say I would have reacted as calmly had it been a larger bat @Leeny   I also might have freaked out if I had been alone in the support facility.  The mama in me kicked in when one of the guys said he would step on it to kill it.  At that point I was more afraid FOR the bat than afraid OF the bat. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   Robins bathe like no other bird I've seen in the wild or in my own house.  They get into it.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@mousiegirl 

It's not only Vets that are not staying around long, but also regular doctors. My GS in on his 3rd pediatrician within one year and will be seeing another new one as this last one is leaving in September. It's very very frustrating. Doctors or Vets seem to be on the move more and more. I don't get it.  I had a primary Dr. for over 30 years and when he retired I now am on my 3rd primary in approximately 10 yrs. 

I feel your disgust.

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama  I think I mentioned that I took my girl to the PC vet a week after her emergency.  Her vitals and a blood test were done, and dosage of diuretic was lowered.  I called a week later to make an appointment for another test to be sure we were on the right track with meds, and was told that I had to go back to the ER, which I did not understand, and was certain that I did not have to go back.

I emailed a letter to ER vet, never received a response, so called this morning, and was told that she had responded, and that I am to continue with the PC vet unless there is an emergency again.

So, I called the PC this morning, by this time I am so disgusted, do not have faith in any of them, and now have an appointment for a week from this Friday.

I remember my previous vet in another city, always saw him as he was it, no BS like this to contend with.  I never know what vet I will see until I get there, they don't stay long.

@Leeny @mousiegirl 

I agree, medical care for humans aint what it used to be.  I was teasing a friend that's still going to her long time doctor of 25 years, and he announced he was retiring at the end of the year---and I told her oh now you get to see what everyone's been complaining about--no one likes their doctor....GOOD LUCK finding a good one! 

Everytime I go in for my checkups its a different PA the doctor herself hardly ever shows up....maybe she's busy with surgeries etc...but they cant seem to get a PA that stays around....

Now vets here in Texas are different almost all of them get their degrees from Texas A&M....and they DO stick around in fact our first regular vet eventually retired and his assistant took over the practice and He's STILL our vet to this day 30 years later and our family and friends also go to him.  He's so compassionate, loves ALL animals (his own home is a managerie--cats, dogs, birds....).  He also is conscious of the pet owner's wallet too...He goes back to A&M to occasionaly to teach the students, or to learn a new technique. I dread the day he retires....If he does retire I would love to see his assistant take over because he's so good with animals too....my sister's cat absolutely loves him! 

And @mousiegirl wishing your "little girl" complete healing and good health! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”