Honored Contributor

I don't take offense @Epicurean Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: August 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama 

The only birds I've seen around here during our record breaking heat wave that started in May and continues has been the Sparrows and Cardinals....and a Hummingbird or two...Havent seen Blue Jays or even Mockingbirds (our State Bird) which are usually plentiful...Most people are trying to help the birds, particularly the beloved Cardinals by putting out water in addition to seed....

Northern Cardinal | Audubon Field Guide

We had a dire prediction here---due to our severe drought with little rain there was a news report that there are less insects which is hurting the bird population.  Even the bats which eat misquotoes are having a difficult time too...The only insects Ive witnessed this summer are Red Wasps, which are in abundance and also Cicadas........

Red Wasps - Rescue

Giant Cicada / Chicharra Grande - Quesada gigas (Olivier 1790)

....Now pest control people have said that those BIG Roaches that live outside are trying to make their way inside of homes to get water and to cool off...Why Do I Have Palmetto Bugs In My Greenville Home? -

Like you said havent seen a lot of grasshoppers in awhile......Now this could be due to the Grackle population which come in droves here in Texas in winterS.A.'s Common Critters: Grackles may be San Antonio's most hated bird, for  their noise and their poop messBe prepared, grackle season has arrived

Fireflies are pretty much non-existent here....I did see a couple of them a few summers ago near a field where I live, but when the field was mowed so were the fireflies.....😥

Now the cricket invasion here in Texas takes place in October when they practically take over the city buildings and roadways...

Crickets are Overrunning Texas, and the Videos are Like Horror Films

Swarms of crickets invading Texas, and the photos are wild | Fort Worth  Star-Telegram

Cricket season swarms Austin | KEYE

And about the bees....I read that all these almond growers many of which support the almond milk craze are responsible for the deaths of 50 million bees between 2018 and 2019 alone due to extra heavy pesticide use....And bees are so vital to our ecosystem........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I've yet to hear one cricket chirp and it's really getting next to me.  I'm not the biggest bug fan on the planet.  That said I understand they are a part of the circle of life and once that circle is breached it's not good for anybody.  

I feed and water birds and squirrels year round.  I would say they become a bit more reliant on the food and water during the winter, especially after snow.  For the rest of the year I consider it supplemental.  I put out wildbird seed and the birds, squirrels and my chipmunk take what they like.  What's left is usually picked up by the occasional grounhog, possum or raccoon.  Saves me on my daily sweeping so I look at it like win - win.  I've put seed out and watched sparrows and other birds forage in the grass so I assume they are eating something I'm not providing.

There is a guy in the neighborhood who has 'outside' cats.  Personally outside and cat don't belong in the same sentence.  They swing by for the water I put out.  Dehydration will kill an animal sooner than hunger so I guess if I'm helping the occasional cat then okie dokie, lol.

Honored Contributor

Betty @yock had her heart catherization yesterday and I reached out to her today to see how she's feeling.  She had a good experience and is resting comfortably at home.

Honored Contributor

Re: August 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@Spurt  I've yet to hear one cricket chirp and it's really getting next to me.  I'm not the biggest bug fan on the planet.  That said I understand they are a part of the circle of life and once that circle is breached it's not good for anybody.  

I feed and water birds and squirrels year round.  I would say they become a bit more reliant on the food and water during the winter, especially after snow.  For the rest of the year I consider it supplemental.  I put out wildbird seed and the birds, squirrels and my chipmunk take what they like.  What's left is usually picked up by the occasional grounhog, possum or raccoon.  Saves me on my daily sweeping so I look at it like win - win.  I've put seed out and watched sparrows and other birds forage in the grass so I assume they are eating something I'm not providing.

There is a guy in the neighborhood who has 'outside' cats.  Personally outside and cat don't belong in the same sentence.  They swing by for the water I put out.  Dehydration will kill an animal sooner than hunger so I guess if I'm helping the occasional cat then okie dokie, lol.

@Bird mama 

I love all animals but not so much certain bugs (roaches for one and also fire ants).....I have two Tuxedo cats and they are strictly inside except when they go out on my fenced in patio to "sunbathe"......

Me and many of my neighbors used to feed the critters around here (deer, possums, racoons, squirrels) but the Condo Association put a stop to it saying that the food and water brought skunks, rats,and field mice.......

I feel so sorry for all the animals in this Texas drought....its so sad that they are suffering....I keep praying and hoping for rain and cooler weather too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Yea I hear ya.  I will catch a firefly, regular fly, spider or back in the day the occasional cricket and let it outside.  I can't control myself with centipedes though, they are usually dead by the time I have a compassionate thought for them.  I don't dig ants coming in either and that can be an issue here in SE Michigan in the spring. 

No roaches allowed.  Last time I had a field mouse in the house was right after I had new furnace and AC installed last fall.  I bought some humane traps from Amazon and caught it and released it in the field behind my house by nightfall.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Spurt  Yea I hear ya.  I will catch a firefly, regular fly, spider or back in the day the occasional cricket and let it outside.  I can't control myself with centipedes though, they are usually dead by the time I have a compassionate thought for them.  I don't dig ants coming in either and that can be an issue here in SE Michigan in the spring. 

No roaches allowed.  Last time I had a field mouse in the house was right after I had new furnace and AC installed last fall.  I bought some humane traps from Amazon and caught it and released it in the field behind my house by nightfall.  

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bird mama 

I appreciate your compassion...I do the "catch and release" myself with Red Wasps, June Bugs, Cicadas, crickets, spiders.....and non-insects---geckos that accidently come in for a visit.......I dont want to use any pesticides its not good for me nor my cats or other animals...

Trusted Contributor

I usually don't mind little critters,like bugs,except for ants,which we have a invasion of every year,in our kitchen no less. And I'm always putting out a pack of food that kills silverfish,as they eat paper and fabric. Anything else I either leave it alone or take it outdoors

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

It's not only Vets that are not staying around long, but also regular doctors. My GS in on his 3rd pediatrician within one year and will be seeing another new one as this last one is leaving in September. It's very very frustrating. Doctors or Vets seem to be on the move more and more. I don't get it.  I had a primary Dr. for over 30 years and when he retired I now am on my 3rd primary in approximately 10 yrs. 

I feel your disgust.

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama  I think I mentioned that I took my girl to the PC vet a week after her emergency.  Her vitals and a blood test were done, and dosage of diuretic was lowered.  I called a week later to make an appointment for another test to be sure we were on the right track with meds, and was told that I had to go back to the ER, which I did not understand, and was certain that I did not have to go back.

I emailed a letter to ER vet, never received a response, so called this morning, and was told that she had responded, and that I am to continue with the PC vet unless there is an emergency again.

So, I called the PC this morning, by this time I am so disgusted, do not have faith in any of them, and now have an appointment for a week from this Friday.

I remember my previous vet in another city, always saw him as he was it, no BS like this to contend with.  I never know what vet I will see until I get there, they don't stay long.

Respected Contributor

Hello All~~

Well, it's hotter than Hades here in Wisconsin. I am so miserable I could .... I am not sure what I could do. Even inside it's like my old body knows it is hot and humid outside. 

I went to physical therapy today. I was discharged at this point. She feels I can do a lot of these things at home. I am waiting for the Y's therapeutic pool to open.. I hope it is soon. My arthritis and chondritis is really acting up.

Now for the bugs and critters. I will be up front with you all. I hate bugs. I don't go out of my way to kill them, but if they get into my home I am not a happy camper. Especially spiders, ants and flying ants are the worst. I should add I can't take snakes either. I'd be on the horn in a second calling the humane society. I don't like bats either. In fact now that I think of it, they have also become scarce. Birds are so rare to see now it's just not natural. No cardinals or blue jays or mourning doves..or my humming birds---- nothing, not even sparrows. I am allergic to bees, but I do know they are not around, my flowers can testify to that. 

Speaking of fire flies or as we call them here lighting bugs. They are plentiful on I-90 My DD's windshield on her car gets blasted coming home from work.She goes through windshield solvent like water. Unreal..