Honored Contributor

hey all

just a wave to all good night

Respected Contributor

Betty, glad you got that stool installed and now you can sit more comfortable huh? We had a taller one but never heard it called a comfort stool. WE had it put in as Dad was having trouble sitting so far down and then standing up  - the taller toilet works great. Am not the smartest thing around but when we got it, it was called a handicapped toilet. What can I say. Sure is great. Also hope the eye gets better and nothing else has to be done Betty.

Got to head down to the hospital early tomorrow morning to get a scan. Seems like they just get more often.

Hope all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

hey all

my lawn man quit today. put in a call to the one man i could find that was nice to see if he can begin next week cutting lawns. hope to get a call back sometime today.

weather alerts are beginning to be sounded for tropical storm Is-whatever the whole name is.

did chores, got walk in. that is about all for now, later guys

Honored Contributor

Re: August 2020 Back Fence

[ Edited ]

Hello all, it's kinda nice here today.  Temps in the 70's and a little bit of humidity.  When it's like this I open windows because some humidity in the house is good for my skin, the birds skin and the hardwood floors.  

Boy I made the mistake of scratching a bug bite on my forearm a week ago.  It went south, but not so far south that I needed to see a doctor for it.  I think part of the problem was my scratching it and part of the problem was I was having an allergic reaction/immune response to it.

Suffice it to say, it looked like I developed a bit of cellulitis around the bite.  Skin was inflamed, more than pink and felt a bit leathery.

I kept using cortisone to stop the itch and tried an antibiotic ointment.  Finally, over the weekend, I kicked it really old school.  I held my arm over the sink and drenched it with hydrogen peroxide and just let it bubble until I couldn't stand the pinching sensation on the middle of the area when the bug bite was.

I'll tell you what, after doing this once on Saturday and once on Sunday the swelling went down, it's not as angry red looking and I think I am on the road to recovery.

I got a small patch on hives on my thigh (same side as the arm with the bug bite).  I don't ever recall having hives before.  Turns out when you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis hives can be quite common. 

I took a bath with Epsom salt this morning and so far, nothing is itching.  I don't like to keep applying any kinds of cortisone creams long term - I worry about my kidneys.

Also tried one little benadryl each night on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  According to Mayo Clinic website Benadryl is a first generation anti histamine and second generation anti histamines like Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec are supposed to be better for hives.  Yea, and when I read up about them they warn you about your kidneys and liver.

I need to get a bottle of calamine lotion in this house.  The old ways are working for me better than these new ways.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: August 2020 Back Fence

[ Edited ]

Birdmama,boy Iwishwewere in the 70's.i so want to open our windows. Hope your itching has gone away. Went to my PCP today for my6 mo. Checkup. All my lab work was great. I did put on a few not needed pounds,which I knew. Overall I'm doing darn good for an old lady. Now if this pain would only stop.

Honored Contributor

hey all

not much here tonight. Raining since 5ish or so.light rain now.

watching an old John Wayne,Robert Montgomery movie.

this is about all for tonight. Tomorrow all

Honored Contributor

hey all

wow what a storm we had that trop storm cut thru our entire state. Tornado activity happened all around me. Many touch downs. Just up the road was hit pretty bad from what i am hearing of chatter on facebook.  My development was spared.

this was the scary storm. 

ok guys later

Trusted Contributor

viva,glad your OK. Just talked to my SIL in NY and they were getting hit,hard. We,in NO. Va. Only had a rain shower, we were very lucky.

Honored Contributor

hey all

Epi, this storm was a whopper.it was like the book a tale of two cities. Horrid storm this morn this afternoon it is sunny, blue sky,warming, quiet.

this storm just tore up my state. My town was hard hit. A development just up the road from me had houses with total sides of the houses torn off the structure,roofs demolished. Outdoor sheds, huge play gyms completely destroyed. From chatter on facebook the small airport in my town was hit too but don't know extent of damage there.

did get my afternoon walk in. Ok guys later

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean  and @viva923   I'm so glad that you are safe Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise