Honored Contributor

Re: August 2017 Bird's Nest - Where Summer is Sizzling

Honored Contributor

As much as we love popcorns, dogs do too.Just eliminate the butter and salt. And make sure you supervise them while they're enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

Hi Birding Friends,   Back from a short vacation break down in the Florida Keys,  mainly Key Largo.    My middle grandson had his 21st birthday while we were down there and he got his certification as a SCUBA diver while we were there.   Rough seas, 5 foot waves,  made it difficult to get in the open water dives, but he finally did it yesterday in a sheltered lagoon.  Awful visibility though,  greenish water with about 3 foot visibility compared to about 40 or 50 feet on the reefs out in the open ocean.  

Most dive trips were postponed, discouraged or cancelled from Sunday evening till at least today.   Fishing wasn't easy either,  boats rocking and rolling in 5 foot seas can take a  toll on humans and make you so sick, you never want to get on a boat again.  

We had fun,  loved lounging around the pool and having good family timie.  I did get stung by two bees, both forearms, within about 20 or so minutes.  The bees landing on my wet tee shirt, and I didn't see them and put my arm on my stomach and got stung.  Big red blotches on my arms and they itch like crazy.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Darter by Craig Ibbs, via 500px  This bird is a Anhinga. Thanks to Sally Plummer.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Wow @possummink  the middle grandson is now 21?  I remember when Josh turned 21.  Time waits for no one.

I'm sorry that you were stung twice by bees. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie,   Thanks,  the stings are still visible but the infernal itching is past, thank goodness.   You are so right about time waiting for no one.   My youngest granddaughter started her junior year in HS yesterday and my youngest grandson started his senior year today.   My back is telling me, yes, you are an oldster.   

Got one load of laundry folded and hung, another in the dryer, one in the washer and 2 more waiting.  I'll be crawling by the time I'm finished.  We did a lot of walking while in the Keys, to and from restaurants, a bit of shopping, and am I OUT OF SHAPE!!!    I had to stop and rest as my back 'tightens' up or that's what it feels like.  Even here in the house it hurts like a son of a gun after just walking a bit or standing.  Enough of my gripes. 

The Osprey above reminds me of Bailey.   She fledged and is being fed by her parents.  The 3 nests are now empty.   They are going to remove the wasp nest later in the Fall and also take some of the old nesting materials down to reduce the weight on the platform and get rid of some pests too.  They said Steve and Rachel are quite capable of building strong nests on top of what they leave. 

Josh will be 24 this November.  Wow, almost a quarter century. 

Hope you are having a good day, Everyone.  I heard it's been a bit cooler at home and hope it stays that way till I get home and then gets cooler.   Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Now THIS is a Scottie throne fit for a princess!

Love this Scottie bed.   I've never seen or notices a breed specific bed like this.  Cute idea. Heart

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Heart @possummink @Bird mama Heart

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh