There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Re: August 2017 Bird's Nest - Where Summer is Sizzling

Beautiful!!

Honored Contributor

Here's the morning update from @Winifred

Yesterday I filled the feeders and cleaned and filled the bird bath also. Got several chores done yesterday and it was so very HOT!!!! More - if not worse - of the same is expected today. We will also see if we get a couple of rain drops. This entire week is suppose to be really bad.

Not a lot of birds out yesterday - I always wonder where they hide in the heat of the day as while there are some trees down in the Wash, not really a lot any more. I guess enough shade can be found for them.\\

Have my window open next to where I am sitting. Wind has really picked up but it is not a cool breeze - too warm but air is moving and no sun is out yet so the window will stay open. LOL.

Hope one and all have a great day - As usual, enjoyed the pictures!!!

Honored Contributor

Image result for hello august

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama, @possummink, LOVE my bleeding heart, mine is huge and is pretty much this exact color.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  I always think about where the birds go at night.  Do they have a specific place they go every night? Do they 'gather' the family members and all snooze together in the same area?  Bird food for thought....

So here's what I experienced this morning in my backyard around 9ish just prior to Wallace walk - I strolled down the sidewalk towards the back of the yard which is not big at all, just very jam packed.  I came upon a hummingbird who flew up to me about 7ft away or so out of the white pine.  He and I just stared at each other, he perfectly still as they are, I greeted him (or her) "oh hi baby" and he softly chirped back, flitted up to the telephone wire. It's just amazing to me that hummers do lite, sit still - for some time too. I kept on talking to him, very soon the mate flew in to the picture, joined the first one on the wire.  I could hear them chirp to each other.  Soon thereafter, both buzzed away together. They headed to the hemlock in the SW corner of the yard, certainly acted like this is where they hang out, nest maybe? I don't know.

We have two different sets of himmers here, these that I talk about have a creamy white belly, the other ones are a tad larger and are the irridescent ones, greenish/blue. 

We love the hummers, watch them all the time in the yard. They love to hang here.

Respected Contributor

Hi birders,

Time sure is flying on by.  I can't believe that it is August already. 

Thanks Birdmama for starting up the August thread.  Love your pic.!

Possum,  Bleeding Hearts are one of my favorites, thanks for posting a pic. of them. 

Not a lot of birds around lately other than the hummingbirds.  We now have 2 bullies, a male and a female.  I am filling the feeders daily as we have a lot of them.  They arrived here early this year and they leave in mid September. 

The deer and the turkeys are all coming around with their babies and it is so cute to watch them all.  They are all growing fast.  We sure do have a lot of turkeys around this year and with the babies even more.  Two mama turkeys come around with 25 babies.

Take care everyone and have a great afternoon!

Honored Contributor

Thank you,  Bernie,  for the August perch/nest.   Today is totally different from yesterday's torrential rains from Tropical Storm Emily.   It's bright and sunny with temps in the high 80ies already and the humidity is so heavy.  With 8.9 inches of rain in less than 2 days,  I guess that's to be expected.  More rain is forecast.   Will see it that comes true.  

Have an terrific Tuesday,  Everyone. Heart

Honored Contributor

Do you remember when I said I had a male sparrow that did a whole lotta singing and dancing on the patio?  Well, there was a female that was attracted to his flamboyant behavior and she moved into the birdhouse with him.  On Sunday, I heard the softest little chirping, so I know he and she had at least one baby.

Fatherhood appears to have changed him - less singing and dancing and more foraging, feeding and nuturing.  It helps that right outside of the bird house is fresh water and food :-)