Honored Contributor

Re: August 2015 - Bird's Nest

Verbena, AL. The bridge is covered with wisteria that blooms in the spring.

Honored Contributor

Black cat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116403927@N06/12307883203/ Lucky (via isegal3)

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Puddles

The bird is a Bearded Reedling (commonly known as the bearded t*it).

Thank you birdmama!Heart

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning one and all. Possum, always love your pix. I see Miss Blackie there peeping at one and all. Speaking of Miss Blackie, she is such a talker and remains a bit ornery. You can reach over to rub her and you just never know if she will grab your hand. Drives me nuts but still love her. I will add her teeth are razor sharp too. Do not know why she does that unless she was bugged as a little kitty - not real sure.

Bird feeders are once again empty as can be. I find it so interesting as I do not see anywhere near the amount of feathered friends that use to be so prevalent yet those feeders can still empty out quickly. LOL. I think they may be coming out at times I am hiding inside due to the heat. Seriously I have tried to figure out when they hang out and I am not sure. When it is not so horribly hot and muggy, they are outside all day long - not the case now but they still can get to the food. Heart

Another hot day and I do not THINK I have may errands to run. Do have to pay some bills however, Groan - so may take care of some of those things.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Possummink - thanks for explaining about Trude.  For a minute  I got choked up and thought the bird was crippled.  I wonder why little Trude has red ties on it's legs.  I would cut the ties off immediately, I don't like them.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Freddie, I think the birds wait for you to turn your back or get busy and then they eat up a storm :-)

The bird of the day is the Plain Xenops

There is nothing plain about this bird

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Blog da Amizade: Crônica do Amor

Bernie,   I agree about the red ties on Trude's legs.   I don't like them and don't see why, if he's banded they have to be on both legs and so long on top of that.   I also don't know if he's recovering from something, like an injury or????.   I don't know why he's in captivity unless it was something like that or that he was abandoned.   He is cute though and I hope they dry him off after his 'swimming and showering'.  

Edited to add:  Bernie,  I went back to look at those bands,  and maybe it's my eyes,  but I am not sure he has a right foot.   It looks like only the left foot is useable, unless he's got the right one curled up.   I didn't see toes or claws.   Could be my eyes, and I took a Buzz Feed quiz on FB to see which creature "I saw like", or whose eyes were like mine,  and wouldn't you know the quiz said I have owl eyes.   Haaa Haaa, sure I do!!Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@possummink

I'm at work and limited to the sites I can access with this PC (lol).  From what I've been able to gather....

A tiny little owl named Trude bobs around in a warm bath in Kimura Hidetoshi‘s bathroom sink.

I found another picture 

The caption for this pic is:

Trude the owl · @KIMUPIKO has a little owl that likes baths and attacking spatulas and normal bird of prey stuff like that.

I can't tell if the right foot is smaller than the left.  I don't know if keeping these as pets is a new Japanese thing.  My thing is - why tie the feet?

Honored Contributor

Okay, I found the Japanese guy's twitter page (lol).  Using google, I've translated some of the twitter comments - it appears the twitter account was opened on July 12th.  It appears KIMUPIKO is hoping for his video and story to keep gaining views and more press on various other forums.  An American asked why KIMUPIKO would tie a raptors feet together and put it in water to see if it would float.  KIMUPIKO said he would respond later as he had to go work.  That tweet thread didn't continue.  So, in one of the videos (see above) it looks like both feet are moving in the water and now I am not so sure.