Honored Contributor

Hello all and welcome to the Bird's Nest for August.

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: August 2015 - Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

Hi Birdmama .....  thanks for starting the August Bird's Nest and with such a cute poem and pics. 

Expecting rain and storms today and I have a hair appointment.  Oh well so much for Mother Nature.....lol.  

All of a sudden the hummers are all back in full force.  I am thinking that they are getting ready to leave.  The last couple of years they have been leaving here early so if they follow the same pattern they will leave in the first week of Sept.  Usually we get a lot more than usually in August and like I said I have no clue as to why.  I fill the feeder twice a week and luckily did it yesterday so I will not have to go out there in the storms and rain.

Waving to all the birders and hoping that everyone has a great weekend!

Honored Contributor

Hi Luvs - maybe the hummingbirds know they will be flying a long distance and want to eat while the getting is good :-)  I hope the storms are not too bad.

Honored Contributor

The bird for the weekend is the Lilac Crowned Amazon:

Honored Contributor

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Honored Contributor

http://www.funnydam.com/uploads/good_morning_image_with_animated_birds_6617262549.gif

Happy Sunday Birding friends!  Enjoy your day.

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Honored Contributor

Good Morning @Puddles.  Thank you for posting the pictures of the long tailed chunky birds.  :-)

Honored Contributor

Good Sunday Morning,  Birding Friends,   Raining like cats and dogs here again today.    Love sleeping in weather like this.   So far about 2 inches today, and it's still pouring. 

Thanks, Bernie, for the new perch for August and reminding me about it.  I landed on the Back Fence thread first,  then realized that this one was right near it.   

The Tampa area is flooding like crazy with the rains everyday.  My oldest GS's GF got stuck in one of the main streets in Tampa  and her car floated away for a bit and had water up to the dashboard when they finally towed it out.   DDIL went to help as my grandson is still in Miami, for the International music thingy,  and she waded through water over her knees to get to where the GF was sheltering with many others whose cars were flooded too.  

Would be great to be able to ship some of this excess water to California to help break that drought.  

Have a nice relaxing day. 

Respected Contributor

Birdmama ........  I agree with you and do think that they are starting to store up on food for their long journey.  I also think that the hummers coming from up north of here that I call passerby's are stopping for a few days also to fuel up.

Puddles ........ Thank you for posting the pic of the birds with the beautiful long tails!

Possummink ........  sorry to hear that you got so much rain and were flooded.  We never got the expected rain and storms yesterday.  Now they are saying Monday.  We are still in a drought here.  Wow, that was so nice of your DDIL to go and help your GS GF.  Hope that everyone is ok.

Waving to all the birders and hope that everyone has a great Sunday.

Honored Contributor

Possum - I'm sorry to hear about the flooding and your grandson's girlfriend's frightful time.  I think we are expecting storms later on.  If wind is involved - I'll be walking the floors tonight :-)

Luvs - I'm sorry you're having drought conditions.  We haven't had much rain in the past couple of weeks either.