Regular Contributor

Re: Asking people to remove shoes when coming over

@susan kay I've never been in a position like you mentioned, but I would be very annoyed. I think it's so hypocritical and in bad taste to have everyone remove their shoes, yet the hostess leaves hers on!

That's when plastic floor runners come in handy...

Honored Contributor

I don't mind this rule at all. Everyone I know who has this rule sets the expectation at the front door with a place for shoes to be placed as soon as you walk in. It also helps to let people know BEFORE the come over so that they can make sure they wear socks when they come to visit. 

Honored Contributor

I don't mind this at all and certainly wouldn't take it personally.  We all have rules for our own house and that's ok.

This is a subject that ALWAYS goes tragically bad here.  I'm kind of surprised to see it brought up again.

Occasional Contributor

Well, in the summer, I definitely do NOT want people walking in my home in their bare feet.  That is totally gross.  I also cannot believe anyone would want people removing their shoes before going into their house.  If you're that concerned about dirt being dragged in, don't invite any one over.

Honored Contributor

Around here, lots of shelves on lots of porches, and shoes.  I think it's a good idea, especially when one has very light carpeting.  Only, I wouldn't want bare feet on my carpeting/floors, so I would provide a basket of fresh 'Peds' types of foot covering.  Funny and surprising to me that I actually remember 'Peds'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

You should tell people ahead of time if they are going to have to remove their shoes.They may want to bring socks or slippers. I would not like having to go barefoot in someone's house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The visitors clothes could be dirty/germy too. Going to have them remove them too? In all my years I have never had to remove my shoes at anyone's home. If you make guests do this, please have brand new socks for them, and tell them this before they come over.

Honored Contributor

My DH has neuropathy and his feet would be very painful if he had to walk on hard floors without his shoes. Actually, I am pretty certain he would leave.

Honored Contributor

Interesting that of all the people who have stated firmly that they require guests to remove their shoes, no one has said what they would do if someone said "I can't."  Some people may not be comfortable sharing an illness or disability with someone that isn't family or close friends.

If someone declines an invitation or arrives, is requested to remove their shoes and decides to leave, the hostess may never know she embarrassed or hurt someone who *could not* go shoeless without pain or danger of falling but did not feel they wanted to explain/"give an excuse" as to why they would not - nor should they have to. But I guess that would be their problem, their "fault"?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Interesting that of all the people who have stated firmly that they require guests to remove their shoes, no one has said what they would do if someone said "I can't."  Some people may not be comfortable sharing an illness or disability with someone that isn't family or close friends.

If someone declines an invitation or arrives, is requested to remove their shoes and decides to leave, the hostess may never know she embarrassed or hurt someone who *could not* go shoeless without pain or danger of falling but did not feel they wanted to explain/"give an excuse" as to why they would not - nor should they have to. But I guess that would be their problem, their "fault"?

I own a couple of indoor only shoes and I would let all know that they too can bring their indoor only shoes and wear them in my house if they could not go shoeless.