Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Arthritis in feet? What do u recommend?

@Big Joanie wrote:

I am the same with the sugar .....

I have an autoimmune arthritis and on Nov 3rd I started a low carb lifestyle change.  In one month my CRP test ( blood test that measures inflammation in the body) went from a very high 18.4 to .35.  As of today I've also dropped 19 lbs.   Sugar is the absolute worse thing for inflammation.  I'm  hoping one day I can stop injecting the biologic and methotrexate I've been on for 15 years.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361  I have arthritis in both feet.  When it first happened, I had no idea what was wrong but it was painful.  An MRI scan was done and that is when I found out what was wrong.  I learned to live with it although I would think BenGay would help or soaking feet in very warm water with Epsom salts.  Anti-inflammatory drugs help too.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Now you've heard about it twice. Very painful and not a whole lot helps. My foot Dr tells me I don't have a straight bone in either foot. This makes me walk like a duck.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I’m only 57 years old, but I believe I have early signs of arthritis in my right foot (actually, two doctors told me this). I’m a little in denial, but the pain is real (at certain times). I’m new to the world of arthritis. I actually ordered new, extra soft socks on Amazon last night, thinking that might help. If you have arthritis, what do you do about pain in your feet? Surely, there’s something that can be done given the advances in medical research, etc. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions from my forum friends.

I'm a decade older than you but have been wearing toeless support socks for some time.  They go down to the arch and go above the ankle.  There are some that cover the toes but I like my toes to be free.  I can't tell you how much they help me.  I've had mine a year or so now.  I don't always need them but when I do, they provide quick relief.

HLTPRO Plantar Fasciitis Socks with Arch and Ankle Support at Amazon.support socks.jpg

Honored Contributor

Hi @ALRATIBA

For many, especially men, gout can be related to a high Uric Acid level. Some can lower this by changing some things they may be eating or drinking, some are helped with meds to help lower that level.

Hope 2019 finds you and yours healthy and happy

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree. I've been trying the Extra Strength Tylenol for a couple of days now.  What a difference!  Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year @Tabbycat

Just in response to your comment on PT.  Too many that go through PT, for what ever their reason, think when their Physical Therapist releases them, their work is done. That, in my opinion, is usually why some consider PT, as only short term relief.

They couldn't be more wrong. Regardless of the reason for the necessary PT, it should continue in perpetuity. Maybe less frequently or aggressive, but in my opinion, it should continue whether a person wants it to improve more, or just maintain their current condition.

Not many parts of my body that haven't been through Physical Therapy, and I have continued(when my health and physical condition has allowed me), to do the exercises that I have found, via PT or my own ingenuity, to this day.

My belief is that is the main, if not the only reason, I am able to physically function close to the same levels as 30+ years in the past. PT, with the right Physical Therapist, can help most everyone with some type of physical restrictions and/or limitations.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Am in total agreement with you vis-a-vis physical therapy and the proper physical therapist having undergone major bone fractures and surgery twice, fifteen years apart.  When you don't move, carefully, you eventually lose flexibility and mobility!

Fortunately, I have an extremely high tolerance for pain and very little tolerance for not being physically and mentally independent.

Health care professionals were amazed by my drive and energy--and positive outlook--based on the injuries I sustained each time.  (Of course part of that each time was motivated by my determination to get out of the hospital as quickly as it was safe to be released) since I hate the regimen at these facilities and was scrupulous about following the stated rules, with some pointed questions along the way.  

Can only do the best for oneself when given detailed explanations and information--that is me, anyway.  And I'm part of the "Our Bodies Ourselves" book generation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I’m only 57 years old, but I believe I have early signs of arthritis in my right foot (actually, two doctors told me this). I’m a little in denial, but the pain is real (at certain times). I’m new to the world of arthritis. I actually ordered new, extra soft socks on Amazon last night, thinking that might help. If you have arthritis, what do you do about pain in your feet? Surely, there’s something that can be done given the advances in medical research, etc. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions from my forum friends.

I'm a decade older than you but have been wearing toeless support socks for some time.  They go down to the arch and go above the ankle.  There are some that cover the toes but I like my toes to be free.  I can't tell you how much they help me.  I've had mine a year or so now.  I don't always need them but when I do, they provide quick relief.

Plantar Fasciitis Socks with Arch and Ankle Support   (see my earlier post).

I have arthritis in both ankles and knees as well as my thumb joints.  I've broken both ankles and had knee surgeries due to injuries and assume these have triggered the arthritis.   

Exercise is great for arthritis.  I stick to lower impact.  I walk a lot with my dog and do some resistance training - I love working with weights.  I have a couple of sizes of hand weights at home as well as a kettle bell and it makes all the difference in the world.   I wear good shoes when I walk so I get the support I need...and don't end up sore after.

I prefer to avoid pain medicine but occasionally reach for Aleve.  Usually 1 Aleve will break the cycle and I can often go a a few days without bad pain.  

Valued Contributor

Helps with the Fibro pain and Arthritis in my feet hqdefault.jpg