Honored Contributor

Armor All for Cars, unconventional use.......

This product for cars is made  to use on vinyl.  I am cleaning our vinyl fence, today in sections, cause it' so hot!!

I am thinking of using this on the fence once it's all clean, hoping that dirt will not stick to it as much as it does now.  Does this sound like a dumb idea?

It's supposed to help keep the car clean, why not a fence?

There is another product called SPRAY and FORGET....I have not used that yet.  Supposedly you spray on the surface and when it rains it 'cleans' off the dirt.  Sounds to good to be true.

I'm using simple green to clean the fence, which is working pretty good...no product so far is of any value for the lattice at the top of the fence, sigh, I wish I would have had that installed on the fence!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Armor All for Cars, unconventional use.......

[ Edited ]

I remember that product from years ago. Hope it works on the fence. It´s not a dumb idea. I don´t remember if it comes in a spray bottle which would be great. If not you could transfer it to a spray b ottle and that would make it so much easier  rather than wiping it on.

I know there´s one for the vehicle windshield, where the rain bounces off and keeps it clean.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Here's my two cents, Armorall is made for soft vinyl car interiors, not hard vinyl on a fence. 

It won't dry down 100% and will only attract more dust and dirt. Also, it might also discolor the fence either by itself or from a reaction to UV exposure, a problem if your fence is white.

RainX is made for glass, why not google products specifically made for vinyl fences?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spray and Forget, and Wet and Forget, same, but different brands used for algae and molds, not for dirt.  I have used both that worked perfectly.  I use Wet and Forget, now, on my house siding, sidewalk, and driveway.  Rain washes algae and molds away.  It would work very well on your vinyl fence if that's your problem.    

Both are pet and plant friendly, except, it's recommended pets not walk on the ground until it's dry.  As for plants, it's recommended to cover them.  I never do. I just rinse them off with the hose afterwards.  I do cover the flowering shrubs in bloom, though.  

I recently purchased it from QVC at a good price, but sometimes they are out of stock.  

Honored Contributor

@decaf   Well fudge, you're probably right, thanks for the advice.  I'd be sick if the vinyl discolored!!

There is no issue leaning the smooth part of the fence...it's that darn lattice at the top.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee  I am hoping once I get the lattice relatively clean the spray and forget would help keep it clean.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@decaf   Well fudge, you're probably right, thanks for the advice.  I'd be sick if the vinyl discolored!!

There is no issue leaning the smooth part of the fence...it's that darn lattice at the top.

@Mom2Dogs  Can you use bleach or vinegar mixed with water on the lattice?  Those fences are expensive,  I'd probably call the fence co. and ask them.  A pressure washer would probably work too.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:
@Foxxee  I am hoping once I get the lattice relatively clean the spray and forget would help keep it clean.

@Mom2Dogs 

It's worth a try, except not to disappoint you, my house siding still collects dirt during the year Wet and Forget works to keep algae away.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently cleaned a section of my white vinyl fence with a product I bought at Home Depot called 30 SECONDS Outdoor Cleaner. It's for Algae, Mold, Mildew and Dirt & Grime. I bought a 64 ounce container that you attach your hose to. It worked better than any of the previous ones I've tried. The 64 ounce container didn't go very far. It did the end (the short end) of my ranch house and about 12 fence panels. I sprayed good and maybe heavier than needed though. 

Next trip to HD I'm going to get several more containers as I have 44 panels and a couple of gates. Mine is a 4 foot high fence, not latticed at the top but pickets. Not plain pickets though, they are different heights at the taller posts then swoop down in the middle with a bar across about halfway down the pickets  In other words, a little intricate.

You wet the fence, then use the cleaner, wait a few minutes then rinse. The contraption part of the container where you hook the hose up to it has a dial for wetting, cleaning then rinsing. So it's easy to use. It will stain your clothes so you have to wear old stuff you don't care about just in case. Thorough directions are on the container. I don't recall the cost but it wasn't expensive. 

Edit: One correction. First step is not wetting, first step is you spray it on dry fence/house. Wait then rinse.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs  Can you use bleach or vinegar mixed with water on the lattice?  Those fences are expensive,  I'd probably call the fence co. and ask them.  A pressure washer would probably work too.

@decaf    @Mom2Dogs 

How about Oxi clean?  I have made a paste with the powder and scrubbed with it. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras