Esteemed Contributor

Arizona summer breeze

[ Edited ]

Went out at 3 pm to get the mail and this is how it felt walking down the street to the mailbox. Day 16 of over 110 degrees and no end in sight. 

IMG_0498.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty    Are you in Arizona?  My heart goes out to all of you.  Those temps are insane.  I live in SoCal and we are dealing with high temps also.  I feel so fortunate to be living on the acosdtal Plain because our temps are mid 70s.   We've also had a few fires erupt around the Southland.  Stay safe

Respected Contributor

Oh, nooooo.  I'm in Texas but we're at 100.  Needless to say I've been eating lots of popsicles !

Respected Contributor

At my TX location we were 103 yesterday, with 104 the previous day. More 103 days, possibly higher, to follow over the next two weeks. The heat indexes have been 109 to 110. It's miserable.

After filling up my birdbaths yesterday morning, I looked out to see my yard was crawling with Grackles. I counted 22 birds, enjoying some fresh water and shade. They all stayed for a couple of hours, just resting. I've never seen that many Grackles in my yard. I felt like I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

This is very dangerous for many. I feel bad for everyone and everything struggling to find some comfort and safety. 

Esteemed Contributor

My thoughts are with anyone dealing with these temps.  I can't even imagine.  It's been mid 90's and very humid here in Philly and that seems almost unbearable to me.  

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons we left Henderson, NV--the brutal temps and the even more brutal sun.  Even in January the sun was intense.  Would never live in that climate again although I would never live in any place that has high humidity, i.e., FL.

Contributor

Ugh...it's 118 in the shade today and between 116 and 118 forecast for the next week.  I'm in Cave Creek, AZ.   We're all putting out water dishes for the wildlife.

Esteemed Contributor

@primroses wrote:

Ugh...it's 118 in the shade today and between 116 and 118 forecast for the next week.  I'm in Cave Creek, AZ.   We're all putting out water dishes for the wildlife.

I've been putting ice in the semi-feral kitties dishes. Every night around 5 I've been going out and watering the ground around the trees so they can have a cooler spot to lay. They seem to appreciate it. I'm in Peoria.

Respected Contributor

I'm in AZ. Formerly from MN, land of 10,000 tornadoes and -30 degree weather! I moved here because my bones feel SO much better in the heat. We find we have been outdoors more than we ever were in MN. 

I'll take the dry and heat any day over the humidity that I used to suffer through. We do, however, respect the weather and always travel prepared!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Currently 73 in the northern burbs of Chicago.  Going up to 80 later.  We are expected to get some scorching temps the second half of next week coming from the west.  I believe 2 days are supposed to be in the high 90s.  IK.  Even without humdity,  no thank you.  I'd rather have the temp range from 50-75 any day.  I hate heat and even more with any kind of humidity.   

Be safe everyone.