Respected Contributor

Re: Are you older than dirt?

@reiki604 W H A T  !! ?

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Green Stamps were great fun !! Purchased a lot with them., I Did , IDid !!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou wrote:

@KatieB Yes ButchWax was made and used by men with Butch Haircuts it made the hair in front stick up, my mother used on the back of my hair when I was little to keep my ponytail in place by the neckline. And It hurt everytime you put your head down. I used to cry every day. And I decided to save up my allowance when I was about 8 years old and went to my Grandmothers and there was a hair salon close by and I got my hair cut short so she couldn't do that to my hair any more. I don't recall her reaction but I can't imagine doing that to my children. Oh the ugly memories I have about thoses days, but the product did have a very nice fragrance. By the way we had that product because my Dad had a butch haircut for as long as I could remember. I so miss my Dad terribly, he probably stuck up for me.

@BeccaLou   I remember having a pony tail back when  I was in grade school (first grade).  I remember standing at the window looking out, with my mother brushing my hair and putting it up into the pony tail.  My hair was so thick that it hurt when Mama combed or brushed thru it and pulled it back to put the rubber band around the ponytail.  I will never forget that part of getting ready for school.  She never used the butch wax though, my Daddy never had a crew cut.  This was in the mid 50's...  Your story reminded me of this...

Respected Contributor

@KatieB Mid 50's for me also. I hope I didn't ruin your day with the memories. Thanks for writing my friend. Heart

Honored Contributor

Gee, I must be really old! We had albums of 78 rpm records when I was a kid.
Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@KatieB Mid 50's for me also. I hope I didn't ruin your day with the memories. Thanks for writing my friend. Heart

@BeccaLou   No you did not ruin my day, in fact they are good memories (even though it was uncomfortable when Mama was brushing my hair).   And she would fuss at me to stand up straight when she was doing it...  Good memories of Mama.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember all 17...a few were missing like Yellow Stamps and Buster Brown Shoes!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat Do you remember someone going ouside to turn the tv antenna and one stayed in and yelled the other way to get a channel?   Those were the days!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  We had a beautiful mahogany cabinet record player that played 78, 33 1/3 and 45 (with an insert). You had to change the needle if you were going to play 78. Dad had some opera albums in 78. I don't know what happened to that cabinet, but it was a beautiful piece of furniture.

Occasional Contributor

Okay, I'm 62 and remember 13 of these.  Husband is always surprised that i know some songs & singers from the 40's & 50's.  (Hubby is 70) I have to remind him that I'm the 6th of 7 children, with a top-to-bottom age span of 20 years.  It'd be weird if DIDN'T know a lot of them.   And some days I do feel older than dirt...some days not so much!  I also tend to remind him how many rock 'n rollers we've outlived!