Honored Contributor

Re: Are you bah humbug about Halloween?

Pretty much never liked it even as a child.  Then went through hell making costumes for four daughters for so many years, and also for my grandchildren because none of my daughters were interested in learning how to sew.  Thankfully it is finally over for me.  If my daughter who lives with me wants to hand out candy, she should go right ahead.  She has always loved Halloween.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

NoelSeven wrote:

For those who don't enjoy giving out candy, turn off your porch light and either just keep low light in your front room or move to another room so you have no welcoming light showing.

Around here it's a universal rule, no porch light means don't go there.

Exactly!  Although I don't participate, I cannot imagine wishing for something that is enjoyed by so many to go away!

Everywhere I've lived this has been the rule and I've never had a problem.   I've lived all over CA (N, Central, & S) and parts of Nevada, plus a couple of years in Europe, and it was the same everywhere.   People I've known from all over the US have expressed the same rule, as well.

Honored Contributor

I think of Halloween of a time in which the fall season is in full swing.  It is represented by pumpkins, and not necessarily jack-o-lanterns.  I prefer to think of it in the "cute" sense because I want no part of anything gory.  I don't think its fun or funny.

The costume part for adults would creep me out, although if it is in fun and people are talking about it it's ok with me.

We  have not had trick-or-treaters for about two years.  Ever since people started "doctoring" the candy and apples, our trick-or-treaters in the area dropped off.

There are those families (I am assuming that they are needy) who drive their cars to our area in order to let their kids go.  Usually, the children are so polite and the parents encourage them to say "thank-you."

What wonderful nights I had as a child going door-to-door with my parents and all of the kids in the neighborhood were out!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

It is a rule in our town, too, but turning off the porch light doesn't work. Kids still ring the door bell and have even show up after trick or treat hours ended.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

My parents were married on Halloween too!  My mom always said that she drew the line at Halloween costumes, my dad and his buddies were up for it but she simply wouldn't go there....lol   She would say that she didn't want a wedding album full of ghosts and goblins and she wanted a traditional cake cutting....she didn't want to bob for apples at the reception....lol  

Honored Contributor

Constance2 wrote:
It is a rule in our town, too, but turning off the porch light doesn't work. Kids still ring the door bell and have even show up after trick or treat hours ended.

Hi Constance!  Oh boy, that's a real drag.  I would be upset by that, too.   

Honored Contributor

image.jpg

The AC man got a chuckle out of this!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Too cute, Loves!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

image.jpg

The AC man got a chuckle out of this!

Is that on your door?  Did you make it, Loves?  I really like it!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Constance2 wrote:

No one would dare do this in NY where I lived.  A dark house on Halloween was an invitation to bomb it with eggs and chalk or toilet paper.  If I couldn't be home to give out candy because I was out with my own kids, I left a bucket of it on the porch.

~ house cat ~