Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you an HSP or a Sensation Seeker?

What this shows me is how different I've become over time, in terms of coping.  More level, less prone to extremes, and less likely to care whether people really know me, as I know me.

Intresting, @house_cat .  Thanks for providing a workable link!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.00.40 PM.png

I read this book several years ago.  

It is excellent.

On the doctor's website, there are a couple of self-tests you can take to see if you are a highly sensitive person.  I scored 24 out of 27 - I am clearly an HSP.

The second test was even more interesting.  Are you a Sensation Seeker?  I was not surprised to score 2 out of 20. I am clearly not an attention seeker.  Conversely, my DH scored 18/20 on this test, which could explain why the last 40 years together has been very interesting, lol.

If you're curious, here are the tests, but I urge you to read the book, too.

Self-Test:  Are You a Highly Sensitive Person?

Self-Test:  Are You a Sensation Seeker?

@house_cat 

Are sensation seeker and attention seeker considered the same for these tests?

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@hckynut 

Along with being an HSP, I'm also a bit OCD and I have to ask you a question - no offense intended. Why did you choose to omit the 'o' and 'e' in your nic?

@house_cat 

My wife had this put on her car's personalized license plates many years ago. Since our state limits that to 7 digits?  So I thought I would use it here. Still got in on her car's license plate.

Me? My plates are these 7 digits: "NYRNGRS". Is my NHL Team the New York Rangers. I got those plates in 1994 when my NYR won the most coveted trophy in Professional Hockey, The Stanley Cup. Have had them ever since.

Enjoy your weekend. By the way this is how I write or print my 1st name. JOhn, get lots of "why's " about that also.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Thank you, JOhn, for taking the time to explain that to me! It makes perfect sense now. I'm very familiar with the NY Rangers.  My boys had two hampsters when they were little, named for their two favorite teams.... one was Ranger and one was Knick 😉

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@hckynut.  John,I have a question which you probably have answered over the years, but, why the NY  Rangers for your hockey team?

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hckynut.  John,I have a question which you probably have answered over the years, but, why the NY  Rangers for your hockey team?

Hi @proudlyfromNJ  from "Devils Country"!

Been a Ranger fan since the mid 1960's.  They had their Pro Farm Team here for many years in the CHL(central hockey league). That is where they groomed their young players, while most older, sent down from the NHL players, played in the AHL.

A lot of great players came through our City over those years. When the NHL expanded, think it was 1968, the St. Louis Blues team started with many of the players from our home team. Not only that, they played in the Final Series for the Stanley Cup their first 2 years. They finally won that Cup this last June.

Win or lose, that has been my team ever since. My wife and I have been to NYC and the Garden to see them play several times. One weekend they played back-to-back games, 1 in the Garden, the other against the New Jersey Devils at their Arena.

Ya outta see all the stuff we have with their name. My wife even got a Jersey autographed by her favorite player, #9 Adam Graves, during 1 of our visits. Lost count of how many different NYR jerseys she now has in her closet.

Enjoy your weekend, it's pretty good weather here today after a few sweltering days during the week.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut.  Very interesting. Didn’t know about the CHL. Actually I don’t know much about hockey at all. I was just kind of curious how you picked the Rangers. Makes sense now.

Good for your wife with all her jerseys especially the autographed one! I think the only hockey game I ever watched was the miracle on ice in the Olympics. That was pretty exciting. 

Weather here finally cooled down also. The heat had been horrible.

Take care .   ‘From Devils country’ LOL just got it!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I knew I am a HSP before I even took the test.

I didn’t take the Sensation Seeker yet.

I am also highly empathetic which is very draining. 

Thanks for posting! 🙂

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Highly Sensitive a 4

Sensation Seeker a 1

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Oh brother, HSP 9 and SS 1.