Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you alone this Thanksgiving?

Hi everyone!!

Happy thanksgiving.  No.  I have some family and friends nearby.  

If you are alone, I hope it doesn't bother you.  I have been lonely in the past and I am sure I will be again.  It doesn't matter if it's a holiday or not.  But the one thing about a holiday is-- build in reason to try to make it fun for yourself.  Enjoy.  Life it's an experiment.  LOL

Respected Contributor

I'll be alone, by choice. My dog and I will go hiking, if it's not raining, then I plan to put up my Christmas tree, with Hallmark movies playing in the background. I'm happy with my plans and hope for no intrusions.

It was a TG day, when my DH came home from work ill, was admitted to ICU and never came home, passing on Dec. 1. So I really feel TG day will always be my time and his. Best done alone. 

But, I hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday, filled with loved ones and lots of delicious dishes. Wherever you're celebrating, stay safe, too.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat 

My daughter once said:

“I’d rather be alone for all the right reasons, then be with a crowd for all the wrong.”

Happy Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

I am not alone, and know you aren't alone either.

I weep for all of those alone.

I have one who never says "hello, good bye, or I enjoyed dinner!"!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Happy Thanksgiving to you. I'm not totally alone.....with the BF, but not with his kids or grandkids. Not so much with Thanksgiving, but I think it's important for kids to spend Christmas morning or the entire day at their own homes making memories. 

We did travel one Christmas to the BF's son's house.  It was very uncomfortable as they had their established traditions with her family that day and we were sort of the extras. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh I totally get you. It IS the hardest thing. Btw, sadly, the weird feelings of loss never go away.

We just learn to cope with them better, until a trigger comes along and knocks us off our feet. Holidays can be so beautiful, but also a very emotive time, for many, for multiple reasons.

We all adapt to change, in time, but only at our own pace. There is no quick fix.

Remember to be kind to yourself. Our best company sometimes, can just be ourselves, until we're ready to move forward. Nothing wrong with that.

Do work against letting depression set in though. It's an insidious thing that can sneak up on you and hinder your progress. So enjoy the calorie free day to the fullestWoman Wink

One day, you'll likely be ready to let some other people in, or start some new activities --- or to explore some new possibilities. Life will still feel different, but a new different can also have rewards, if we let it. 

In the meantime --- I'll be watching Hallmark with you :-). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

@gidgetgh I totally get you. It IS the hardest thing. Btw, sadly, the weird feelings of loss never go away.

We just learn to cope with them better, until a trigger comes along and knocks us off our feet. Holidays can be so beautiful, but also a very emotive time, for many, for multiple reasons.

We all adapt to change, in time, but only at our own pace. There is no quick fix.

Remember to be kind to yourself. Our best company sometimes, can just be ourselves, until we're ready to move forward. Nothing wrong with that.

Do work against letting depression set in though. It's an insidious thing that can sneak up on you and hinder your progress. So enjoy the calorie free day to the fullestWoman Wink

One day, you'll likely be ready to let some other people in, or start some new activities --- or to explore some new possibilities. Life will still feel different, but a new different can also have rewards, if we let it. 

In the meantime --- I'll be watching Hallmark with you :-

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  Wow!  I will make it a point to not post you on any subject. Still wish you the best. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

If you click on the three dots at the top right of your post you can edit it... erase it, whatever you choose.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@gidgetgh 

If you click on the three dots at the top right of your post you can edit it... erase it, whatever you choose.

it wouldn't  let me delete it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?