Valued Contributor

Re: Are you afraid of spiders?

LOL  That picture reminds me of a book my children use to love when they were little.  Henry's Awful Mistake.  Henry, the duck, is preparing a dinner for his friend Clara when he sees an ant.  He progresses to tear up his house trying to get that ant, who always dodges him.  That is kinda how I am with a spider. Man Frustrated

Frequent Contributor

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider when we lived in Florida.  It was a long, messy recovery from that bite.  I with the smash them dead group.

Respected Contributor

I was working at a veterinary clinic in Colorado when we had a dog come in that had recently moved from one of the southern states.  He had been bitten by a brown recluse spider while in that state.  Even a few months later he was still recovering from that bite.  

It was so pitiful to see how the skin was sloughing off along his back.  

I can't imagine being a human and having to deal with the aftermath from a bite like that

Carolina2 you really have my sympathy.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in an environment where insects tend to be poisonous.... Black widows, brown recluse, scorpions, 

They run from me.....  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Deepspider.jpg

Me too!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Not really afraid, except the brown recluse, but I don't allow any creepy crawlys of any kind in my house. They get the death penalty if they enter.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

@betteb wrote:

Not really afraid, except the brown recluse, but I don't allow any creepy crawlys of any kind in my house. They get the death penalty if they enter.

I am worried that the brown spider I've seen in my room is a brown recluse.  I'm not afraid of other spiders except, of course, black widows, which I don't think I've ever seen in this area.  Other than that, no, regular, recognizable spiders do not scare me.  I knew, now living on a first floor slab apartment that we would get bugs.  My last apartment was on the second floor and I never saw a single bug.

My daughter does not want the exterminator in here because of her chi-poo who already has respiratory issues, and because both of us have autoimmune issues.  If I start to see a lot of brown spiders though, we're going to have to do something about it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I'm far from knowledgeable about the Brown Recluse Spider but I believe they tend to hide in very enclosed spaces such as a shed.  I suppose they could get into a dark space like a closet.  I just don't think you have to worry too much about finding them in an open space.  

I've never goggled the Brown Recluse because I don't even like looking at pictures of them.  However you could do that and compare that picture and the brown spider that you saw and see if they look similar.

I know what you mean about using an exterminator.  I have a canary and guinea pigs and I won't spray any kind of chemical in my house. 

I'm sure that spider was just a regular old spider and hopefully he's gone by now.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@betteb wrote:

I am worried that the brown spider I've seen in my room is a brown recluse.  I'm not afraid of other spiders except, of course, black widows, which I don't think I've ever seen in this area.  Other than that, no, regular, recognizable spiders do not scare me.  I knew, now living on a first floor slab apartment that we would get bugs.  My last apartment was on the second floor and I never saw a single bug.

My daughter does not want the exterminator in here because of her chi-poo who already has respiratory issues, and because both of us have autoimmune issues.  If I start to see a lot of brown spiders though, we're going to have to do something about it.

Not to worry, Ford---there are no brown recluse in NJ or anywhere in the northeast. They are only native to a few Midwest and Southern ( I think ) states.

What we do have are Wolf spiders and Black Widow.....The brown recluse is small but the wolf are the size of golf balls ! They are everywhere on my property and sometimes in the house and out buildings. I have no particular aversion to spiders but, as I post, I am looking at the swollen index finger on my right hand where I was bitten a few days ago and I'm not liking them very much these days. They don't build webs so they just kind of sneak up on you......I have seen black widow in webs outside but never in the house.

When the kids were little, I kept non-toxic spider traps in their rooms.....they worked well. You can get them on Amazon, I'm sure

Respected Contributor

I am now, a friend died from complications of a brown recluse bite...