Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a wasteful person?

I have a half a side of beef we've been using. I love being able to just step into our garage and pick which cut I want from our deep freeze. I don't think I'll ever have to run out to a grocery store again! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Not wasteful and our fridge/freezer/shelves are not packed. I have never said to myself - "I better stuff the freezer in case I can't get to the store".  Sounds like OP's friend is a hoarder. 

Interesting conclusion, just because someone stocked their freezer and pantry they become a hoarder.

Read OP's post again. It doesn't say stocked. There is a huge difference 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Not wasteful and our fridge/freezer/shelves are not packed. I have never said to myself - "I better stuff the freezer in case I can't get to the store".  Sounds like OP's friend is a hoarder. 

I stuff the freezer and the pantry because I hate wanting to cook something and having to run to the store.  I don't enjoy grocery shopping that much so I stock up!  Especially on sales of things I use all the time I stock up! 

Regular Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Interesting conclusion, just because someone stocked their freezer and pantry they become a hoarder.

The likelihood of being a hoarder is great being that the person has stuff "just in case". My sister though she will never admit it is a hoarder. She has purchased general merchandise items in my presence just in case. She is very bad at food hoarding. I haven't noticed any expired dairy or rotten food that type of stuff but her cabinets overflow with food even when it was just her and her kid.  Any room or compartment that greatly overflows and exceeds reasonable capacity is a hoarding situation.

Regular Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@scatcat - you hit that one right on the head - the rest of her house is so cluttered - every time an aunt or relative dies she's the first one to take everything home.  Any clutter drives me crazy!

My sister is the same way but its helpful when I want to get rid of my stuff Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

My freezer and pantry are always fully stocked.  Several months ago our freezer shut down and the repair man was helping my husband load the food into the coolers while he made repairs.  There were a number of QVC food items in there.  These were his words "I'm coming to live with you; you people eat good."  Everything gets used and my husband is very good about eating leftovers.

I tend to be a little wasteful about clothing purchases.  I buy more than I actually need or wear.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Do you buy things just to buy things?  I was at a friend's house yesterday and she had told me the day before she bought 2 weeks worth of meals to prepare (although she goes out almost every night and buys fast food).  Yesterday I saw her and she was bringing in bag after bag of groceries.  I stood in her kitchen while she put them away.  Her refrigerator is a side-by-side and she showed me the freezer side - jam packed - couldn't get another thing in it.  The pantry was stocked for a war!  She said she went out for 2 things and ended up buying 10 bags of groceries.  My ex-husband was the same way- my daughter and her friends would shop from our panty - line after line of canned goods, cereal, pasta.  I can't imagine she's going to use the food in her freezer before it goes bad - a lot of it was wrapped in aluminum foil. 

I personally buy only what I need, that way I'm not throwing away food unnecessarily. 

@hoosieroriginal

It's one thing to have a well stocked pantry ..... and another thing entirely to "buy things just to buy them".

I also wonder how people get by when they are snowed in, or there has been a hurricane or earthquake and getting to a store won't be happening any time soon.  What are you thinking?

I see nothing wrong with stocking up on the staples ..... and whenever toilet paper is on sale, I buy some, whether I need it or not.   We won't stop using TP any time soon.

Honored Contributor

No, not generally.  I will not, however, eat the leftover potatoes or anything else) "to keep from wasting" them/it.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I have gotten a lot better, about not wasting food. We eat leftovers, or I have them the next day for lunch at work. Like to night I took the left over chicken and made chicken salad for lunch tomorrow. We used to go out and eat dinner almost every night, now maybe once a week. And if there's extra, bring them home for another meal. Waste not want not.

Honored Contributor

Wasters/tightwads, hoarders/skinflints, clutter/sterile, well-stocked/wasteful:it's all how each of us look at things. 

I think it's really going out on a limb to assume things about people beause of how many cans of tuna they have.