Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a wasteful person?

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

Not wasteful and our fridge/freezer/shelves are not packed. I have never said to myself - "I better stuff the freezer in case I can't get to the store".  Sounds like OP's friend is a hoarder

My mom & dad had neighbors like that.  At one point my dad told me they must have had 40 cans of coffee on the shelves and neither one of them drank coffee...

Super Contributor

Very frugal person (I cut open tubes of moisturizer and foundation to use all of it). I am a big leftover fan and also will bring home half my lunch/dinner when we eat out. I also make my own veg broth from scraps. rofl...there is alot going on in my kitchen !

I am though, very vigilant on what I am doing. I have to be b/c I can get a little scattered and try not to waste anything. Only stock up I do is on laundry detergent if on sale and I can back it with a coupon.

Trusted Contributor

Not wasteful. We have 2 freezers. We buy beef and pork by the half, store is over 30 min away. I only go once a month. DH brings needed milk or bread from convenience store on his way home from work. I can and freeze from the garden. Most of our grocery purchases are fresh vegetables, salad fixing, chips etc.

We just had huge snow storm no worries here. We store water also. We have plenty of storage areas.

I also keep large supply of paper goods, Dawn, laundry soap, light bulbs.

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Not wasteful and our fridge/freezer/shelves are not packed. I have never said to myself - "I better stuff the freezer in case I can't get to the store".  Sounds like OP's friend is a hoarder. 

Interesting conclusion, just because someone stocked their freezer and pantry they become a hoarder.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Do you buy things just to buy things?  I was at a friend's house yesterday and she had told me the day before she bought 2 weeks worth of meals to prepare (although she goes out almost every night and buys fast food).  Yesterday I saw her and she was bringing in bag after bag of groceries.  I stood in her kitchen while she put them away.  Her refrigerator is a side-by-side and she showed me the freezer side - jam packed - couldn't get another thing in it.  The pantry was stocked for a war!  She said she went out for 2 things and ended up buying 10 bags of groceries.  My ex-husband was the same way- my daughter and her friends would shop from our panty - line after line of canned goods, cereal, pasta.  I can't imagine she's going to use the food in her freezer before it goes bad - a lot of it was wrapped in aluminum foil. 

I personally buy only what I need, that way I'm not throwing away food unnecessarily. 

My husband is like that - I have to tell him it's time to stop because there is no place to put it - I purposefully keep the shelves in a bit of a disarray or pull things forward so he doesn't see that there is room for more stuff.

My daughter would come home from college and shop at Mom's Supermarket before she would go back.

I keep the freezer in the kitchen full so he thinks there is no room for anything else.  I do have room in the small chest freezer but can't let him know that either!

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Do you buy things just to buy things?  I was at a friend's house yesterday and she had told me the day before she bought 2 weeks worth of meals to prepare (although she goes out almost every night and buys fast food).  Yesterday I saw her and she was bringing in bag after bag of groceries.  I stood in her kitchen while she put them away.  Her refrigerator is a side-by-side and she showed me the freezer side - jam packed - couldn't get another thing in it.  The pantry was stocked for a war!  She said she went out for 2 things and ended up buying 10 bags of groceries.  My ex-husband was the same way- my daughter and her friends would shop from our panty - line after line of canned goods, cereal, pasta.  I can't imagine she's going to use the food in her freezer before it goes bad - a lot of it was wrapped in aluminum foil. 

I personally buy only what I need, that way I'm not throwing away food unnecessarily. 

My husband is like that - I have to tell him it's time to stop because there is no place to put it - I purposefully keep the shelves in a bit of a disarray or pull things forward so he doesn't see that there is room for more stuff.

My daughter would come home from college and shop at Mom's Supermarket before she would go back.

I keep the freezer in the kitchen full so he thinks there is no room for anything else.  I do have room in the small chest freezer but can't let him know that either!

@CelticCrafter What is up with that?  I can only think my ex-husband did without food or something as a child and was always afraid to be without.  He worked for the fire department and I swear we had enough food to feed the fire department every night if we had to.  He would go to Sam's Club and spend hundreds of dollars every pay - it really bothered me a lot.

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

We live in a hurricane prone area, so I keep a good supply of foods that can be eaten without cooking. The obvious ones. Also large supply of bottled water and a variety of drinks, including V8 and healthier products, vitamins, etc. Been here through several bad ones, including Katrina, and we learn more each time. 

I grocery shop once a week with a list, made better and more accurate by using Alexa. I never realized how convenient it can be to speak into an electronic device instead of looking for a pen and paper. I rarely forget anything now. Huge help.

But after losing my precious husband last August, I am having to learn to shop for one. I once had 8 children, husband and me and shopping was very different then. Now I tend to make only things that are easy for a single serving. Not very interesting and often boring dinners. Big change! And treats for my Pup, of course.

If we're talking things other than food,  I don't buy many clothes, because my lifestyle doesn't require then. I love tees and jeans in rare cold weather, tees and shorts most of the year. Two or three dresses, and at my age something appropriate for funerals. Never thought that would happen, but I've had two this week to attend. So sad. A few spring flowers and once in a while a new seasonal decoration for my home.

Otherwise I go by an old New England saying, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."  Good one.

@Perkup wrote:

We live in a hurricane prone area, so I keep a good supply of foods that can be eaten without cooking. The obvious ones. Also large supply of bottled water and a variety of drinks, including V8 and healthier products, vitamins, etc. Been here through several bad ones, including Katrina, and we learn more each time. 

I grocery shop once a week with a list, made better and more accurate by using Alexa. I never realized how convenient it can be to speak into an electronic device instead of looking for a pen and paper. I rarely forget anything now. Huge help.

But after losing my precious husband last August, I am having to learn to shop for one. I once had 8 children, husband and me and shopping was very different then. Now I tend to make only things that are easy for a single serving. Not very interesting and often boring dinners. Big change! And treats for my Pup, of course.

If we're talking things other than food,  I don't buy many clothes, because my lifestyle doesn't require then. I love tees and jeans in rare cold weather, tees and shorts most of the year. Two or three dresses, and at my age something appropriate for funerals. Never thought that would happen, but I've had two this week to attend. So sad. A few spring flowers and once in a while a new seasonal decoration for my home.

Otherwise I go by an old New England saying, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."  Good one.

@Perkup - love the New England saying!  My friend was trying to shove off on me stuff from her pantry she has never used - really?  It was nice of her, but I don't want her old food!

Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Not wasteful and our fridge/freezer/shelves are not packed. I have never said to myself - "I better stuff the freezer in case I can't get to the store".  Sounds like OP's friend is a hoarder. 

@scatcat - you hit that one right on the head - the rest of her house is so cluttered - every time an aunt or relative dies she's the first one to take everything home.  Any clutter drives me crazy!

Honored Contributor

If you are talking about groceries, the answer is no.  It's just the two of us now and we eat out 3-4 times a week and we are healthy eaters.  We only buy what we really need and will really eat.  The same with cleaning supplies etc. 

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  Thank you for taking care of the animals in the colder weather.  You have a kind heart   

Honored Contributor

no