Respected Contributor

Are you a trusting person? I keep seeing all these people who send money

I am not trusting at all.  I see these women who send money to men they met online.  I would not even pay for his dinner with him sitting across the table.   I want to be a trusting person but life has taught me to be very sceptical of someone trying to do me a favor.  I have been ripped off my auto mechanics, home repair and other things.  When someone does a good professional job at a fair price and treats me right I get emotional. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a trusting person? I keep seeing all these people who send money

Personally, I trust animals more than most people.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm retired but work parttime at a grocery store in customer service.  We send Western Union wires all the time.   I've actually caught and stopped scams for customers.  A week doesn't go by that I don't refuse to send a wire for someone for lack of proper ID or ability to answer all the questions...or sending money to people customers don't know or to a known scam outfit.   It's weird that most people get angry when I ask questions and then tell them I can't send their money to a foreign person.  AND, there are just as many scams within the US.

Western Union has lots of information in its system about its agents on various scams.  If we pay attention, many can be caught.  In addition, they've really stepped up to try to reduce fraud by requiring answers to more questions and identification questions.  It's reduced some of the fraud.  

I don't know anything about MoneyGram and other wiring companies.  I'm glad that we use Western Union since I know it's working hard to reduce losses for people.

Honored Contributor

Knew someone who sent 25.000 to man she met online!?! Yes! Scammer! WHY?! Would anyone!! Man or Woman do such a thing. Share this! My relationships never shared accounts. Nor! Did I support them. My money is Mine! Period.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who was sending money constantly to a young school child and his family in Africa for books,bikes,food,computers,shoes,family needs etc.We kept telling her it probably wasn't true but she wouldn't stop.She loved helping and telling us all about it. One day it just stopped and she won't talk about it.I think she must have finally realized what was really happening.

Honored Contributor

When I was young and stepped out into the world, I took everyone for face value, trusting them, even boyfriends a husband.  After years of being used, lied to, back stabbing I NO longer trust ANYONE but God.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMomwrote:

Personally, I trust animals more than most people.

Like the Marines they are always faithful.

Jamma

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart  Thank you for doing that for those folks who aren't as suspicious as the rest of us.  My elderly parents fell right into that trap when they called supposedly reporting that their grandson was in trouble and needed $3000 wired to them.  I can't tell you how grateful I was that the clerk at the store caught this and saved them from wiring them $3000 to "fix the problem".  They claimed he caused an accident with a foreign diplomat and my son was arrested and had to pay for the damages immediately.  And of course, not to call my son who was in jail. 

My parents are intellegent people with minimal health issues but I had never had that conversation with them about these types of scammers, and fortunately, now they have become more suspicious and to be wary of those calls.   

It really is sad when they take advantage of the more trusting older generation who didn't have these types of low-lifes trying to take advantage of them when they were our age.

From all the people you have helped, I thank you. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

When it comes to money, I am not trusting at all. Loaned a friend 40 bucks years ago, that I never got back and that taught me a lesson. If you loan, consider it a gift. Now, the only ones I gift with cash are my own kids, my sons girlfriend and my nieces.

As far as these folks who send money to people over seas, I think people are so desperate for love or companionship, they just don't listen to common sense.

Honored Contributor

I once was, today? No way.