Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Are there foods you like now, but didn't use to -- and vice versa?

@LIndaMJ wrote:

When I was a kid, I would cringe when my mother told me we were having split soup for dinner.  The past several years I've found myself loving it, so much so I make it every few months. 

@LIndaMJ I never liked split pea soup and my little sister LOVED it!  I still don't like it.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in PA where salmon wasn't a common fish to eat.    It took me moving to the West Coast in my adult years and for many years after that to even want to try it.     I now live in the PNW where the salmon is the fish choice of many people and I've really developed a taste for it.

I still haven't lost my love for other fish like bass, cod and halibut though.  I'm not a big meat eater but I do love my fish.   

Respected Contributor

Collard greens, spinach, bok choy, broccoli, and lettuce are the ones I can think I hated growing up,  but like now.   I hated onions then and hate them now.  That will never change. 

Valued Contributor

I used to dislike barley (my mother made oxtail soup with barley) and still don't like it. Don't like couscous much either. I don't like any kind of tomato that isn't fresh. Excluding tomato sauce. I'm also not crazy about cooked carrots.Will pick them out. But like fresh carrots, although not a lot. Never buy them for example. I guess there isn't anything I used to not like when young and like now. I really liked most everything except above. 

However, I used to love beef liver and onions and don't now. I do like chicken livers however.  I used to love Escargo but don't now. 

I didn't taste Cilantro until I moved to the Pacific NorthWest in my 30's. I didn't like it. But through repeated attempts, and also it perhaps being in something I didn't know about when I ordered it, I came to like it. Now I love it!

Trusted Contributor

I used to drink skim milk with almost everything—common to have several large glasses. At some point couldn’t drink milk anymore. It’s now repulsive. 

Used to love the smell of coffee but couldn’t drink. Visiting family the coffee was always on but couldn’t drink it black. Then I discovered the wonderful world of flavored creamers. You don’t have to drink coffee black! Changed my world!

I remember when I was a young girl and couldn’t stand the thought of eating potato salad. We’d go to family reunions and there would always be potato salad. A relative couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t like it because I liked everything individually. I didn’t know why. As an adult, I now love potato salad. 

There’s probably lots more I eat now that I didn’t eat before because my horizons have really opened up. 

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Brussels sprouts were ok.  I roasted them and now I could have them every day.

Growing up on a large farm, I loved vegetables and salads.  I don't think I'll ever, ever like dried beans and things made from them.  I can do a few kidney beans in chili.  Sometimes, I'll dig those out.

@ECBG  I can remember being a little girl and being afraid of kidney beans in chili. I thought they were big bugs. I figured out at some point that they are not really bugs and I like beans in soup now. 

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Growing up on a large farm, I loved vegetables and salads.  I don't think I'll ever, ever like dried beans and things made from them.  I can do a few kidney beans in chili.  Sometimes, I'll dig those out.

@ECBG  I can remember being a little girl and being afraid of kidney beans in chili. I thought they were big bugs. I figured out at some point that they are not really bugs and I like beans in soup now. 

@Teddie Your experience gave me such a smile!  I can just "see" a child saying that!  Thank you!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Teddie Your experience gave me such a smile!  I can just "see" a child saying that!  Thank you!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  I had to come back to tell you that you are such a sweet person! 

YOUR message put a smile on my face! 😊

Honored Contributor

Mushrooms.  I used to hate them.  Now I add them to all kinds of meat and fish and casseroles.  I love a burger with sauteed mushrooms and lots of gooey Swiss cheese.  Delicious!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

I eat and enjoy lots of things as a adult that I never ate as a child. We didn’t really have a great variety of things to eat anyway. Seems like we are the same things over & over. 

Anyway, I disliked most veggies as a child. I didn’t like mushrooms, onions, or olives. I like all those now. I’m a lot more adventurous as an adult. I will try almost anything, but as a kid I would run away screaming from weird foods.