Respected Contributor

Re: Are there foods you like now, but didn't use to -- and vice versa?

@golding76 wrote:

Years ago, I wasn't especially fond of eggplant, but now I lust after it.  Yes, I adore it coated in bread crumbs and fried in olive oil. 

Conversely, I once loved scallops and white wine.  When I became pregnant with my first child, I did not yet know I was preggers and my husband and I went to a popular beach off the coast of North Carolina.

One evening we went out to eat, and I ordered my then-favorite meal:  scallops, with white wine as my beverage.  The restaurant was a very good one, situated by the ocean and had everything going for it.  I took one look at the scallops and nearly "lost my cookies."  I reached to have a sip of wine, and the taste was vile!  The remainder of the trip we had fried chicken and mashed potatoes -- each and every night -- because that was all I could stomach.

Ever since then, I have never been able to eat scallops, and I truly like only a fruity white wine now -- nothing dry. 

That's how I figured out I was pregnant with my first child.  I used to make hummus regularly.  One day I went to eat it and lost my cookies.  Fortunately I did regain my taste for it. 

Honored Contributor

You know how kids are especially if they never ate something and now you are forced to.  When I was a kid maybe 4 or 5 I had go with my mother to my brother's school (he was around 11 and had Polio) and attended a special school for disabled kids.  Anyway, I was invited to eat in their lunchroom and cooked spinach was on the menu and I said I cannot eat the spinach and I was told I had to.  Well, yes I ate a little and got very sick running to the restroom.  As an adult, I love spinach cooked and raw but certainly not as a kid.  My brother had lost a leg to Polio (you lose all the muscle).  He had many operations on his foot and then one doctor at Shriners Hospital operated on him and he was able to play ball and did not need a brace.  He could even run.  He has a slight limp but what a miracle.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@demanda wrote:

Brussel sprouts!!  Love them roasted, shaved in a salad, etc.  Would never touch them as a child.

@demanda Probably because they were cooked in water which caused bitterness.

Nodding Dog GIFs | Tenor

Respected Contributor

When I was a kid, I hated tomatoes, cheese & butter (I only liked oleo??) & unfortunately, I now love all three! I think the reason I didn't like cheese as a kid was because my folks only bought extra sharp Cheddar & it was just too strong a flavor for my kid palate.

Also, when I was a kid, my mom boiled the living daylights out of any & all veggies, so I thought I hated Brussels Sprouts until I had them oven roasted as an adult & I actually like them a lot.  She'd make bean soup with big dried lima beans & I hated those big mealy mushy things (I think it was more a texture thing than disliking the actual taste of them) & I now like frozen baby lima beans cooked just right.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@hckynut  Would you mind sharing those things you no longer eat? Just curious

@jeanlake 

A few. Meat/fish/fowl/pastries/ice cream/pizza!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've hated spinach, squash, and asparagus my whole life.  Now I can't get enough.  I put fresh spinach in eggs, salads, soups, and all kinds of things.  I think I've had asparagus once a week for the last 6 weeks.  I roast it, no boiling in water for me.  Squash is one of my favorite fall/winter vegetables.

Esteemed Contributor

My two biggies are cucumbers and strawberries.  Wouldn't touch them as a kid but now they're two of my favorite foods.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

When I was a kid, I would cringe when my mother told me we were having split soup for dinner.  The past several years I've found myself loving it, so much so I make it every few months. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut Same with all, except an occasional veggie pizza indulgence. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 Daughter introduced me to edamame soybeans. I don't think I would have tried it on my own. Great addition to my favorite steamed vegetables. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau