Respected Contributor

Re: Are there foods you like now, but didn't use to -- and vice versa?

I didn't like many vegetables growing up, now I love them.  Brussell sprouts, asparagus, green beans...just yum!  

Esteemed Contributor

I'll add cucumbers to the list. Never ate them as a kid but love them now.

Honored Contributor

Oatmeal, dried beans and fried potatoes were 3 of my least favorite foods as a child. I ate them, but would have preferred to see something else on my plate.

Rain or shine, Monday was laundry day at our house, and 85% of the time it was beans and cornbread day too. Mom would start washing clothes in the wringer washer downstairs before 8:00, and usually got the last load on the line before 3:00. Beans could simmer away to goodness during those hours and not require much of her attention. And even tho she was worn out from the trips to the basement and clothesline, she could still manage cornbread and a sliced onion.

I can remember volunteering to take my grandparents mail to them on a Monday, thinking Grandma would feed me something else, only to find out it was washday there to, and they were also having beans!

Over the years I've eaten A LOT of dried beans and fried taters, as well as oatmeal. And now at 64, I am quite content with those foods, along with a hamburger and hot dog occasionally. I surely don't complain about a cholesterol reading of 120 and a tryglerceride level of 98.
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

Not really, but there are are few foods I liked that I quit eating decades ago.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

As a child I absolutely despised mushrooms, cilantro and celery.  I adored tart things.  

Now, I can't get enough of mushrooms and cilantro.  I will eat celery, but if it became unavailable tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear.

Conversely, I have lost the taste for anything sour! 

Valued Contributor

@golding76 

@golding76 wrote:

I'm one of those "no cilantro" folks.  It tastes like soap to me.  Yes, like Ivory soap.

I've heard that there is a certain genetic set-up that affects the brain's perception of cilantro.  Food is totally unpalatable to me if there is cilantro sprinkled on it or within it.

I was in a fancy restaurant years ago, and when I began eating, I noticed the food tasted like soap.  I mentioned this to the waiter and said that I didn't think the dishes were rinsed very well.  I was not happy since the dish was very expensive.  The owner soon came to my table and explained it was cilantro.  No more cilantro for me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brussels sprouts were ok.  I roasted them and now I could have them every day.

Growing up on a large farm, I loved vegetables and salads.  I don't think I'll ever, ever like dried beans and things made from them.  I can do a few kidney beans in chili.  Sometimes, I'll dig those out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone  Oh, my -- liver and onions -- such a powerful taste and one I've never liked. Hubs loves it. He also loves watermelon. My son and I just can't. But I watch my grandson and my hubs and they go after it.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  Would you mind sharing those things you no longer eat? Just curious

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't drink coffee until late 40s. Couldn't stand the taste. Now I drink it with cream and sugar. Daughter hated cottage cheese as a child. This week I watched her eat cottage cheese, pepper and sliced tomatoes. I used to be able to bite into a tomato -- cannot do it now. It can be sliced on a sandwich or stewed -- but can't pick up a tomato and bite into it. 

Enjoying your posts