Regular Contributor

Re: Are there foods you like now, but didn't use to -- and vice versa?

Brussel sprouts!!  Love them roasted, shaved in a salad, etc.  Would never touch them as a child.

Honored Contributor

i really can't think of anything either way.  However @Vivian's mention of olives made me think of my grandfather.  My father always had to have some olives on the table at holidays.  One Christmas my grandfather mentioned that he hadn't eaten an olive in years.  He popped one in his mouth and then said "Now I remember why."  I have nothing against olives, but I think I must've inherited his extreme picky eating from him.  He also wouldn't eat a potato, but he had two helpings of my mashed potatoes one year.  I was flabbergasted and sorta honored.  He would not have done something like that to be polite.  I was surprised he even tried them in the first place.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago, I wasn't especially fond of eggplant, but now I lust after it.  Yes, I adore it coated in bread crumbs and fried in olive oil. 

Conversely, I once loved scallops and white wine.  When I became pregnant with my first child, I did not yet know I was preggers and my husband and I went to a popular beach off the coast of North Carolina.

One evening we went out to eat, and I ordered my then-favorite meal:  scallops, with white wine as my beverage.  The restaurant was a very good one, situated by the ocean and had everything going for it.  I took one look at the scallops and nearly "lost my cookies."  I reached to have a sip of wine, and the taste was vile!  The remainder of the trip we had fried chicken and mashed potatoes -- each and every night -- because that was all I could stomach.

Ever since then, I have never been able to eat scallops, and I truly like only a fruity white wine now -- nothing dry. 

Honored Contributor

No. Can not think of anything that has changed. I like most every food....except the smell/ taste of cilantro.   It revoltes me! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

No. Can not think of anything that has changed. I like most every food....except the smell/ taste of cilantro.   It revoltes me! 

@SeaMaiden I thought that the first time I had it.  Mexican and Southwest and South American restaurants are big here, and you usually get cilantro.

I kept tasting and now I can't get enough of it.  When we go out and people say "No cilantro" I always say just pile theirs on my plate!  

Respected Contributor

Liver.  Hated it when I was younger, now I love it.

Honored Contributor

I'm one of those "no cilantro" folks.  It tastes like soap to me.  Yes, like Ivory soap.

I've heard that there is a certain genetic set-up that affects the brain's perception of cilantro.  Food is totally unpalatable to me if there is cilantro sprinkled on it or within it.

Honored Contributor

My mother grilled mushrooms in olive oil for dinner one night.  It was really good and I have never been partial to mushrooms at all.

And I'm sorry but this is me Smiley Tongue still spitting my peas out.  Yuck!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@As a child, I HATED green beans, squash and cabbage.  Now I LOVE everything .  Oh yeah, I love "mater Samiches too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Pickled Jalepenos for me too!! I never liked them...now I can't get enough of them on nachos, etc. Not even sure why I tried them again. One day, they sounded good and now I'm obsessed. Same with tomatoes. I didn't eat tomatoes until about 2 years ago...now I eat them all the time. So funny how tastes change. 

@jeanlake