Esteemed Contributor

Are there foods you like now, but didn't use to -- and vice versa?

Eating peas for lunch today and thought -- I used to think peas were disgusting. I even like pea soup now. Same with cottage cheese, pickled jalapenos and brussel sprouts. I used to eat meat and chicken -- now I never want to eat meat. 

What's your experience with this?    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Are there foods you like now, but didn't use to -- and vice versa?

[ Edited ]

I always 'hated' mushrooms, now I LOVE them!

Any kind, stuffed, sauteed or added to anything!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom Add mushrooms to my list. Hubs looks at me like I'm a traitor when I order on shared pizza. He thought we'd always have that disdain in common. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

Nutella -  I didn't get into all the hype when Nutella first became a "thing."  I'm not a chocolate or nut person.  I didn't understand all of these Nutella places opening in the city or the fact that we have a crepe place near my house that has all sorts of Nutella crepes.  My husband and kids loved it, but I did not.

Fast forward to this pandemic.  I have recently discovered that dipping a sliced apple in Nutella is the best thing on Earth.  As a matter of fact, that is what I just ate for lunch today.  It's my new weakness.  Go figure.

Honored Contributor

Cheese and spinach. I didn't have a cheeseburger till I was in college. My roommate and I were using fast food coupons to save money. Anyway I tried one and I was hooked.🍔🍔

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I hated olives most of my life. Then I went to France and tasted the most delicious olives in garlic olive oil...heavenly. Now I love olives. I feel much closer to my Mediterranean roots. 

As for the opposite, for years I enjoyed mussels and avacados. Suddenly, after 65, I was no longer able to digest them. My daughter has the same problem. The effects of ingesting these foods is dramatic,

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@KingstonsMom Add mushrooms to my list. Hubs looks at me like I'm a traitor when I order on shared pizza. He thought we'd always have that disdain in common. 

@jeanlake 

My absolute faves are crab stuffed mushrooms and 'steakside' mushrooms, delicious with any steak, prime rib, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
New Contributor

I guess I'm lucky, never met a veg i did'nt like!!   If you're into peas, try this summer side that tastes great and is very quick and easy.  1 can of baby peas, finely chopped onion(white or red)as much as you like, salt and pepper to taste, finely chopped fresh parsley or basil or both. olive oil and red wine vinegar as in a mild vinegrette.(can even use a favorite bottled italian salad dressing)   Drain peas and place into dish.  Add salt, pepper, onions,and herbs.  Add olive oil and vinegar to taste as if you are making a vinegrette, or use bottled dressing.  Mix well and refrigerate before serving  cold.  Make it your own:  add some finely chopped garlic,  sliced black olives, chopped capers...whatever you and your family likes!  enjoy

Honored Contributor

Salmon, broccoli, and mushrooms.

Honored Contributor

I used to think having a cheese plate for dessert was dumb.  It is fairly common in Europe.   But then on one our cruises they had a cheese sampling event.  Now if it's offered, I will sometimes choose to have a cheese plate with fresh fruit instead of something sweet for dessert.  Found I enjoy different varieties of cheeses.