Respected Contributor

Re: Are You "Hard To Buy For"?

Yes, I think I am hard to buy for. 

Esteemed Contributor

Am I hard to buy for?

Yes.

I don't want to waste time & money buying someone a gift they just don't want. And I think no one else does either. So we've always worked with gift lists.

Pick out a dozen or more things you'd really like to receive as a gift. The longer your list the better.

Be specific, maybe include the item number or store to make shopping for what you really want easier on the shopper. 

Make sure there's a big range of prices on your list, so someone who can only spend a small amount can feel assured their gift "measures up" equal to the pricier ones. (I can remember only being able to afford buying my dad his favourite chocolate bar out of my 25¢ allowance.)

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

Couldn't be easier. Everyone that would even think of giving me a gift knows this. "If I want something, I buy it myself". No gifts wanted! Who could be easier than that?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Nope!!! I ask for nothing--have way too much as it is and if I want something I buy it myself---

Esteemed Contributor

That's a good question.  I think I might be hard to buy for, not intentionally but I like what I like and have everything I need.  I prefer not to get gifts that I don't want or won't use, then I have to donate it somewhere..........a good bottle of wine though would never go to waste!  LOL

Valued Contributor

I think many of us have trouble using gift cards.  Several years ago I was on the board of a food bank and when opening donations someone had given us a $100 gift certficiate to a restaurant that someone had obviiously given her.  Took it to the restaurant and had them reissue into 4 $25 cards and we used them to reward exceptional volunteers.  While volunteers do not expect anything, it was nice to return our thanks.

Honored Contributor

From what I read here I am impossible.  The last things I want would be candles, nick-nacks, anything to wear or sit around the house, pictures and/or frames, body and bath stuff, clothing and throws, and most not-wanted would be a spa gift. 

I would love a generic gift certificate, gift certificate to a book store (we have 3 rooms with big book cases built in) or something I can use up like pretty note pads, special sauce, etc. 

Honored Contributor

Hard to buy for?   Nope, just get me a gift certificate and you're done. 

I have two sisters.  One shares my love of gift cards ... for "the thrill of the hunt", especially when things are on sale.  It's fun to shop when things are on sale, and it's on someone else's dime.    

My other sister hates gift cards and feels insulted if you don't get her an actual gift.  

You can imagine the conversations ..... 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Hard to buy for?   Nope, just get me a gift certificate and you're done. 

I have two sisters.  One shares my love of gift cards ... for "the thrill of the hunt", especially when things are on sale.  It's fun to shop when things are on sale, and it's on someone else's dime.    

My other sister hates gift cards and feels insulted if you don't get her an actual gift.  

You can imagine the conversations ..... 

@Tinkrbl44 Buy her, oh, maybe a ferret?  That should cure her.  

Valued Contributor

Not at all. Anything gifted to me is just that, a gift. I treasure every single thing I receive and find a way to use it. I couldn't imagine tossing a gift from my children or elderly parents. I never ask for anything but everyone knows my desires and collections. It's quite a treat to know thoughtfulness and hard earned money went into a gift selected just for me.