Honored Contributor

Re: Are Retail stores struggling this season?

Some of the sights I see are unbelievable.  Everyone can wear clean clothes that cover themselves up.  It's just obvious some of these people just throw on anything and go out the door.

It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just not something that looks like the cat dragged it out!

Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline I will go out, but not this time of the year.  I have to always go to Walmart once a week for something.  It is bad enough with all these people here but they are working on the main road.  I don't understand why they didn't do that before snowbird time?   Traffic is bumper to bumper and accidents everywhere.  It is a mess.  I am always so happy when they leave. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DukeBlueNan

thank you! Even if I'm in a store armed with their coupons 9 times out of 10 I'm empty handed...so I scan the line to see who has the most stuff or a kid because with the price of everything every little bit helps.

JCP gave me a $50 rewards coupon (I bought large Order of curtain rods & drapes). I gave it to my cousin who is furnishing a new home. 

Publix accepts competitors coupons (like $10 off $50 in food - target or others) I always take it with me when food shopping - if I don't need it, I rarely spend $50 I'll pass it on.

At at my age I think the only thing I'm looking for is a "comfy" pair of walking shoes!!!

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@onlyshopsonline I will go out, but not this time of the year.  I have to always go to Walmart once a week for something.  It is bad enough with all these people here but they are working on the main road.  I don't understand why they didn't do that before snowbird time?   Traffic is bumper to bumper and accidents everywhere.  It is a mess.  I am always so happy when they leave. 

Yup, I have to hit Walmart for some grocery items.  And, two of our local grocery stores.  But, I don't go near any other stores until well after the holidays.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

I read in the paper that there is a lawsuit against Kohl's, JC Penney's and Macy's for inflating prices so people think they are getting a deal with those coupons. They said that Kohl's is the worst. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@DukeBlueNan

thank you! Even if I'm in a store armed with their coupons 9 times out of 10 I'm empty handed...so I scan the line to see who has the most stuff or a kid because with the price of everything every little bit helps.

JCP gave me a $50 rewards coupon (I bought large Order of curtain rods & drapes). I gave it to my cousin who is furnishing a new home. 

I also look around for someone if I have a coupon I can't use.

I passed on a $25.00 coupon I received in the mail to Brighton to a sweet elderly lady who wanted to buy her daughter something for Christmas and she was surprised at their prices. She told me she was living on Social Security and it was tough. I gave her the card and she was able to get a pretty necklace for her daughter. Prior to running into her I had wandered the store for probably 30 minutes and could not find anything. 

Honored Contributor

The shelves are bare around here..............Winter items are already on clearance.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Define struggling.  I think all retailers, including Qvc, are struggling to meet the sales goals and trying desperately to increase sales.  There is just so much competition out there.    I'm getting so many coupons in my email that I don't even read them anymore.  I see it's from a retailer that I have shopped with in the past and I just delete them now, I don't want to be tempted.  I'm not the type who buys something just because it's 60% off or just because there is free shipping.  So, I delete without opening.  I speak about mall stores because I haven't been in one since before Thanksgiving.  I prefer shopping online, not just for Christmas, all the time.  With the exception of Walmart, my sister and I do Walmart run periodically. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  I love to see women my age dressed up.  Why not?  I like Appleseeds.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe,  I definitely agree with you.  I have never seen so many deals and online free shipping like this year.  Yes, it seems like everyone is desperate for sales.  I don't think last year was a good year for retail so they are going all out this year.  I never saw the Q give free shpg. ever until this year.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength