Honored Contributor

Are Discounts On Ebay Often?

I have found some china and dessert plates I'm thinking about on Ebay and marked them "watch".

After a day I'm getting lower offers from the dealers.

Is this usual?

ThanksSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are Discounts On Ebay Often?

I don't know if it's unusual or not but once I was watching a purse and the seller sent me an offer and dropped the price if I was willing to buy it. 

Respected Contributor

Sometimes. And if there is an option to make an offer and you want the piece go ahead and make an offer. Lots of times the seller will accept a lower offer if it is reasonable.

Trusted Contributor

I'm seeing this more and more on about half of the items I put a watch on. I think it's mostly items with a "make an offer" feature. Yesterday, one item had an offer to me that was 50% less than the original marked price so I'm guessing that vendor wanted to unload some inventory.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   Yes, this happens quite often for me on Ebay and on Etsy.

Sometimes I pounce on the lower offer, which typically has been a 30 percent drop.  For the Ebay items which have auction paremeters or "buy me now" if it is something I really want/is hard to find I opt for the "buy it outright" option.

On Amazon I kept tabs on a brand new, all metal French press pot I wanted, that was a traditional style instead of a sort of Danish modern look that most have but the price was higher than I wished to pay.  I kept an eye on Ebay too but the one available was used, and was missing some part.

After about three months of daily checking the brand new Amazon one dropped fifty percent and I snapped it up immediately.  Last I checked it had returned to the higher price.

Patience and good research is the key with these sites.

Happy hunting and purchasing!

aroc3435

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG , sometimes that happens if the seller finds it's an item without wide appeal and demand is low. If your eyeing incomplete sets, you may be the only one showing an interest, and the seller doesn't want to lose you.

I recently broke my electric water kettle. Miraculously, an eBay seller was trying to sell that same kettle, new, but without the necessary heating base. What are the odds she'd find someone else who'd take the kettle without the base? 

Frequent Contributor

They just started that recently at least on the things I watch for daily.

Honored Contributor

I've bought a lot from eBay in the past and never got a lower offer.  However, I've often made reasonable, not insulting, offers and more often than not, they're accepted.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I sell on eBay and when someone "watches" one of my items I get a prompt on my listing to send offer if I want to. I never have though. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I sell on eBay and when someone "watches" one of my items I get a prompt on my listing to send offer if I want to. I never have though. 

@GenXmuse Thanks!  Smiley Happy