Honored Contributor

Re: April Showers at the Bird's Nest 2021

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'did you know? Hummingbirds use hawks as their bodyguards. They often live under hawk nests to seek protection from jays, one of the biggest threats to their babies. Hawks like to stalk their prey from above so ays avoid foraging below them, which creates a hummingbird safety zone. PHOTO LARRY HUBBELL DIDYOUKNOWBLOG.COM'

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

It was chilly today in the 40's.  The sun was out so the wildlife at least had that.  I finally called the lawnmower guy today and asked about my mower, which he picked up for maintenance 3 weeks ago.  He said it's done and he has to get it back to me, probably tomorrow.  I think his business is expanding a bit and he's not yet at the point of trusting the new folks with drop off and pick ups.  This is unusual for him - I usually get the mower back within a week.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

It was chilly today in the 40's.  The sun was out so the wildlife at least had that.  I finally called the lawnmower guy today and asked about my mower, which he picked up for maintenance 3 weeks ago.  He said it's done and he has to get it back to me, probably tomorrow.  I think his business is expanding a bit and he's not yet at the point of trusting the new folks with drop off and pick ups.  This is unusual for him - I usually get the mower back within a week.  

@Bird mama   After 83 degree weather this week, today was cooler, the perfect type of day for gardening, so I did, the usual Spring weeding, and tossing plants that had died, made a vow not to replace anything that died, and just take care of what remains.

I have many huge trees that need pruning, but am quivering just imagining how much it will cost, thousands, I know that, but there are some huge branches over the roof and fireplace so they have to go.  I usually tell the guy to prune only half way up the trees, removing dead branches, to do an entire tree would be bankrupting, and usually, there aren't dead on the upper half, that I can see.

Are you spending Easter with sister?  Wishing youa lovely Easter day.

Honored Contributor

hey all

i threw in the towel tonight with that new washer. dh called lowes and asked to have a washer exchange done. all credit info was done but no delivery stuff set up just to late to get it done tonight. will hopefully finish it up tomorrow. 

not much else,later guys

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says '3 Avril Posté/F Page Ephéméride Seasonal Calendar'

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text

Honored Contributor

Yea tree maintenance is a costly proposition @mousiegirl  The structural pruning on my silver maple out front set me back $1,200.  I could see the main trunk of my tree was stressed because of one really large limb (?) that grew over the neighbor's driveway.  She had a detached garage and when the winds come ripping across the field behind our houses, it raced down her driveway and was causing the limb to torque.  This was the first time I saw a tree look almost bruised.  The fear was that gusting winds would torque that limb one too many times and the tree would split down the middle.  It's over 50 years old so I paid the money.

My black walnut could do with a trim.  I'm considering doing privacy fence around the entire yard (versus just the weird neighbor side that I have now) and I'm debating taking 2 of the pines at the back of the yard down.  I waffle back and forth on this because I don't want to cost any animals nesting habitat.  For me the decision is almost a moral one.  

My sister and I will be having Easter dinner at my house.

Honored Contributor

Sorry the new washer isn't working out @viva923