Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@febe1   

Oh sweetheart I am so sorry.  I live with birds that most avian vets will not treat - sparrows and a pigeon.  I'm pretty much on my own because what I live with is considered invasive species or dime a dozen.  I've even read the dime a dozen remark from wildlife rehabbers.

So far I've lost one bird.  Her name was Peewee, she was the first of two sparrows I hand raised straight out of the egg.  She passed away when she was 9 years and 9 days old.

I noticed that my little Peewee was acting even more low key about 2-3 weeks before she passed away.  She ate, she drank, she flew.  To be honest, she looked like she was flying in slow motion.  Oh, my birds are not caged, they have access to 3 rooms - aviary like.

I panicked of course and reached out to a finch breeder, since sparrows are in the finch family, in California.  She was in her 70's and had been breeding finches since she was a child.  She has a business - ladygoudlianfinch dot com - so that's how I knew her.

We talked about possible supplements, could be be egg binded - I was out of my mind.  Joanne told me, Bernadette, your Peewee is remarkable, I've never heard of a finch of any kind making it to age 9.

I ordered a couple of supplements and my Peewee continued to eat what she wanted, when she wanted - I didn't pressure her.

I can't tell you how many times I came home early from work or just cried at my desk.  I was there the day she was born, I begged God to let me be there the day she went home.

It was like watching a clock that was winding down.  Like a watch with a low battery, moving, just more slowly.  Fourth of July weekend, I cut the grass and came up to check on her and noticed she was sitting on a towel, outside of her habitat - not a place she would normally sit.

I knew - it was like someone hit me in the gut.  I grabbed a small basket, lined it with a towel and took her downstairs and told her the story of her birth and how happy and blessed I was when her and her brother's nest (Poppi will be 12 in June) landed on the patio after a storm.

I just talked softly to her as we looked at each other in the eye and she did what I've seen upteen outside birds do at the end.  She inhaled, extended her wings and by the time her wings fell back into place, she was over the rainbow bridge.

I can't lie to you - I died a little that day.  I brought her upstairs so that her brother Poppi (also 9), Grayson (the rescue pigeon who was 5) and Presto (1 - my youngest sparrow) could understand what happened.

Thank you so much, @Bird mama. I just cried reading your post. So much like what I'm feeling these days.

It's so strange how they hide it and just won't eat. He's so old and looks so young and healthy.

I always hope with my pets that they will be taken away quickly and w/o pain. But it always seems I'm put in the role of trying to save them and I always lose.

I'm not putting "pressure" on him to eat, just trying to give him his favorite things. He'll eat some of them but won't touch his nourishing bird seed. Just giving him the affection such a sweet, social companion has been for such a long, long time.

Thank you again - I knew you would understand.

God bless you and much joy with your birds.

Honored Contributor

@febe1  My heart is breaking for you.  They are not stupid, they know just like we know and I am sure he doesn't want to leave you.  Just love him and tell him what a joy and blessing he is.  I will pray to St. Francis for the both of you.  Francis and I are good friends - I think he works through me every time a rescue/rehab lands at my doorstep. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@febe1  My heart is breaking for you.  They are not stupid, they know just like we know and I am sure he doesn't want to leave you.  Just love him and tell him what a joy and blessing he is.  I will pray to St. Francis for the both of you.  Francis and I are good friends - I think he works through me every time a rescue/rehab lands at my doorstep. 

Yes, St. Francis is my namesake, and he's been my patron saint all my life. I will do as you suggest daily, and I know I gave him the one of the best lives any bird could have. I will just be happy that I was blessed enough to have him so long. That's a blessing in itself.

Thanks again - how lucky you are there for so many rescues.

Fran

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Nice picture of the hummingbird and the bees. 

I have some wildflower seeds in a packet.  Anyone know when I should put them in the ground?  If I plant them this spring do you think I'll have any flowers this summer?  I'd like to do my part for the bees.

@Bird mama  I think the rule most everywhere is after last frost is expected, though some reseed and survive through winter.  It can't hurt to scatter and cover with a bit of soil if the packet says to do that.

Honored Contributor

Wednesday Blessings

Honored Contributor

Green Heron / Explore Steve Blain's photos on Flickr. Steve Blain has uploaded 2530 photos to Flickr.:

Honored Contributor

Polish Storks:

Honored Contributor

bird:

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama    I havn't seen you here since Tuesday.  Hope everything is okay.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I'm sorry sweetie, I should have stopped in :-)  Not too much going on.  I saw my endocrinologist yesterday for the annual chat.  I allowed her to do a bone density exam after the blood work.  I know I have an issue with bone density for a variety reasons.  She will recommend a drug I am sure and I will hem and haw because I don't want jaw or femur fractures, lol.  We were getting along so well and I know my refusal will change the relationship, lol.  She should have stayed with the thyroid.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise